Ch.10-Just Get In

Cole

My parents and I shared different ideas of what a "swell time" during the weekend was. I had a party lined up, to see a movie with Jayden, and just generally do anything but stuff that required excess energy in mind.

My parents, being the workaholic monsters they were, thought introducing me to the corporate world of conferences would be fun.

I still couldn't believe they were serious.

"Just wait, Cole!" my mother exclaimed from where she was visibly vibrating with excitement in the passenger side seat. "You'll love it!"

I almost laughed.

"There will be college visits there, too! Maybe you can visit those venders as well!"

Not likely. "Sure, Mom. Whatever."

She pouted at me through the rearview mirror. "Your enthusiasm is lacking, son," she scolded. "Can you at least look excited?"

I sent her the biggest, most fake smile I could muster, and I felt absolutely ridiculous doing so. She rolled her eyes.

"You're an insufferable child," she mumbled, and stared out her window. I did the same. Yeah, I was a lot of things. Easily excited by conferences was not one of them.

We pulled up outside a huge building that looked like it cost a shitload of tax payers' money. Dad and Mom opened their doors, stepping out in crisp and freshly dry-cleaned business suits. And then there was me. Jeans and a faded Pink Floyd shirt. But, hey. I wore my best tennis shoes.

My mother looked me over disapprovingly, her cheek poking out from where her tongue was no doubt stuck against it. It wasn't like she could tell me to change, unless she wanted me going in their buck naked, which I was almost certain she didn't.

"Let's go," she stated crisply, turning on her heel and looping her arm through my father's. I loped after them, hands shoved in my pockets. I heard people had their own versions of hell that they never wanted to see, and I was pretty sure I was facing mine down. It was looming closer with every step I took.

The spotless glass doors opened automatically, allowing us entrance. Everything inside was immaculate and pristine. From the marble flooring to the elegant golden chandelier hanging in the middle of it all, to the people strolling through. I felt severely underdressed, and I supposed it was my ever-present character flaw my mother liked to remind me of that kept me from caring.

"In here," my dad instructed, pulling open a door. A bunch of sophisticated and important-looking people rose to their feet when they walked in. They all smiled, bowing their heads at my parents. Good God. What was I witnessing?

"Tom, Susan," a woman greeted, walking around the large desk in the center of the room. "We're ecstatic that you could be here. Who is this?"

"This is Cole, our son," my mom replied, all but shoving me forward. "He's here to learn about the business."

"Ah, how wonderful." She held out her hand. "Interested in the entrepreneurial world?"

Not even the slightest bit. "Maybe." My mom elbowed me and I swallowed hard. "Yeah, I am," I amended.

"Good! You can sit in!"

I cast my parents a helpless look, but they were already on their way out. The woman grabbed my arm and led me to a chair in the back, and strode around to the front. I leaned back in the chair, wondering if I would survive the fall should I throw myself out the window.

After about five minutes of listening to a man drone on about gas stations and stoplights, I decided whatever the result it would be far less painful than that.