Chapter 11

A/N Just a little something to stir the plot as a bonus. 😘

New York City

Knock, knock, knock.

A handsome man of 55 years with hair that was just starting to show some signs of grey looked up from his desk.

In the open doorway stood a man whose looks were deceiving. He was young, only 27, but his eyes were old. Despite their unusual blue colour, they told the story of a man who had seen lots of horrors in his life. His body was a product of those horrors. It was built to perfection with large muscular shoulder and thighs with a narrow waist sandwiched in between. One look at him and you knew that he was a trained killer, but when he put on his white jacket, he became a healer with extraordinary success. The hands that in one situation could kill you could also be your salvation if you were sick or injured.

"It is time for your check up Ambassador Kelly," said Dr. Daniel Reese from the doorway.

Ambassador Kelly motioned for him to come into the office as he looked down at the papers on his desk. He needed to finish reading this report before he could let Daniel give him his check up.

Daniel walked into the Ambassador's office and took a seat on the couch waiting for the Ambassador to finish up. He watched as his friend and father figure continued to read. The Ambassador was looking very well for a man of his age. He was still muscular and in great shape due to the workouts that he still routinely did with Daniel and his brothers, but if you knew him very well, you could tell that something was not quite right.

The Ambassador finished reading the last page and stood up to stretch out his back muscles before heading over to the couch and Daniel. Taking a seat, he waited for Daniel to start his check up. It had been the same routine for the last 18 months, ever since he became extremely ill that Christmas a year and a half ago.

"How are you feeling today? Any nausea? Headaches?" Daniel asked him.

"No. I'm feeling pretty good. My energy seems to be improving and I'm able to concentrate a bit more," he replied. He should have been getting tired of answering the same questions everyday, but instead he was just grateful that he was still here to answer them. He had been close to death many times over the years, but never like that. In the past his brushes with death usually came from the crosshairs of a sniper scope or a bomb, but this one was different. This one came from a poison that someone had been putting in his food. If he hadn't gotten that case of severe food poisoning and if that sweet nurse hadn't figured out that something else was going on, he would have been dead in a matter of weeks. The death would not have been quick like the riffle bullet, but instead it would have been a long drawn out affair.

Daniel was happy to see that Ambassador Kelly was feeling better. His blood work was still improving and he could see him getting stronger everyday during their workouts. He didn't know what he would have done if the Ambassador had died. Every night he thanked God for the nurse, Rebecca, who had picked up something that the doctors had missed. He would like to think that he wouldn't have missed it if he had been there when the Ambassador had first been admitted, but he and his brothers were on an airplane returning from a hairy security mission in the Middle East.

"Are Andrew and Levi stopping by?" the Ambassador asked Daniel.

"They should be here shortly. Levi said that he had some new information to share with us and he wanted your take on it," Daniel replied.

The Ambassador sat back and closed his eyes while waiting for the other two boys, now men, to show up. He remembered the day when he first found them or more accurately when the three boys found him. He had been on an intelligence mission in Argentina to meet with a source who had information on a former Soviet spy. The spy had supposedly been turned and had started to feed false information back to his Soviet masters on behalf of the US, GB, and Canada. It had been a joint enterprise between the three since the US and GB had needed Canadian help to feed him the information without alerting the Soviets that the man had been turned. The source had turned out to be very valuable. The source told him that the spy had been playing all sides all along and that the spy was now working for the Russian mob.

Just as the Ambassador had walked out of the meeting, a potted plant in the room blew up killing the source. The Ambassador had no choice, but to take to the streets to hide since he had been hit with some shrapnel. It was while he was trying to hide so that the bombers didn't know that he was still alive, that the three boys had found him. Even then, Daniel had had great skills as a future healer. Between Daniel's first aid and Andrew's and Levi's knowledge of the streets and evasive maneuvering, the four of them had managed to get back to the embassy the very next day without anyone knowing. By then the Ambassador had found out that all three boys were orphans and had been living both on the streets and in a rundown orphanage. He decided the best way to thank them for their help was to bring them back with him so that is what he did.

He was never able to formally adopt them due to his job, but he took care of them as if he was their father. His job had also prevented him from ever getting married so these three boys were the only family he had.

Knock, knock.

The Ambassador looked over to the door to see the two boys, now men, that he had been thinking about. He motioned them to come in and sit down.

Levi Hart walked over to an armchair facing the couch. He, too, had eyes like Daniel although his were brown in colour. He was taller than Daniel's 5 foot 11 frame standing in at 6 foot 2, but he had the same muscular frame. While Daniel's talents had always been in medicine, Levi's talents were with technology and problem solving. He had a PI license, but that was just an added skill.

Andrew Weiss closed the door to the Ambassador's office and locked it before heading over to take a seat on the second armchair. His eyes matched the other two except his eye colour was green like a grassy meadow. Out of the three, he was the tallest at 6 foot 5 and the most built. His body was honed to perfection and he could bench press 300 pounds without breaking a sweat. This was beneficial in his line of work when he was doing personal security.

Together the three men owned an international security and investigative company. They were highly sought after. So much so that even at the relatively young age of 27, they did not have to advertise their business.

"So Levi, what do you have for us?" asked Andrew. He was the titular head and CEO of their company.

"We were able to intercept part of a text message to one of the phone numbers that were in the cook's contact list. It said to proceed as planned and was signed призрак," Levi told them while pronouncing the last word in perfect Russian.

"Has anyone ever heard of The Ghost before?" Andrew asked them all including the Ambassador.

Each one of them shook their heads no, but the Ambassador had a strange look on his face.

"I don't recall ever coming across it before, but it is triggering something," the Ambassador told them all. "I will keep trying to figure it out."