Epilogue

I pulled the necktie until it touched the collar of my shirt and looked at the mirror as Tara combed my hair backwards. The two of us standing in front of my reflection reminded me of the day when we celebrated Claire's presence to the pack a few months ago.

I thanked Tara as she tried to hook my cuffs. She took a perfume from the bedside table and gave me a few sprays. Was it really me in the reflection?—wasn't I just a boy with dark brown hair and blue eyes with his shoulders slightly hunched? I seemed different.

Many things were different now.

I had just experienced the weirdest summer in my life. A few months ago, I was just a boy who lived his boring empty days, only living my life in the fictional stories about mates my mom told me. Now I had a story worth telling although it wasn't cotton candy the whole time.

"You're hot," Tara said beside me. "Jace will pick you, no matter if you're his mate or not."

I laughed. "I like your dress and your hair too."

"Ooh, your inner gay is showing." She smiled and gave me a kiss on my cheek.

Tara's jet black hair shone under the light, her wavy curls went down to her chest. She looked chic in this pearly orange dress. I didn't understand why she insisted on wearing stilettos although she was almost six feet tall.

"Now, who's actually the groom, you or Nate's dad?"

Sunny and Adam appeared in the doorway of my bedroom, their arms hooked on together. Adam had cut his hair short and neat—it made him look handsome than before. Previously, Adam preferred his hair long so it could cover one of his eyes—I don't even know why. Sunny, who'd always refused to show appear feminine, ended up in a dark pink evening gown that fell down to her knees. She'd never showed up her skin before, but now she was brave enough for that. The sight of the good-looking boy beside her explained it.

"Well, you're the one to talk," I shot back at Adam. He was in a formal black suit, but his hair made him looked so different.

"Sunny helped me dress up," he said.

That was surprising.

"Wow, nice dress, Tara—" Sunny walked into my bedroom and approached Tara who was repositioning her earrings in front of the mirror.

Adam walked to me and patted me in the shoulder. "How are you?"

"I'm good, man," I told him. "How about you?"

"Well, apart from my life turning upside down, I'm good."

I was pretty sure I knew what Adam meant by that. Sunny had informed me that Adam pretty much acknowledged the big challenges for a mortal to be mated to an immortal. A week ago, I did attempt an approach to talk about it to Adam, but things got awkward and I had seen how he tried not to speak about it.

"Um, Dan's waiting at his house to take some photographs," Adam said.

 *  *  *  *

Apart from Adam's parents, Tim was another mortal I knew who had acknowledged the presence of immortals so spontaneously. He was the wedding photographer, and Dan insisted on his service to take some snapshots of us before we convoyed to Gardenias Avenue, the venue where the wedding would take place.

"One . . .  two . . .  three . . ."

I was pressed in the crowd in between Jace and Keith at the uppermost row. It had been a few takes, but it was a fun photography session. Jace showed his hidden enthusiasm in photography as he asked Tim about camera brands and stuffs.  My mate, apparently, was a man of a lot of interests.