Chapter 14 - Trust

My fist still burned from hitting my mate on his face. I rubbed my knuckles repeatedly, trying to soothe the stinging sensation there.

I'm not supposed to be jealous.

Well, fuck that. Of course, I would be jealous. Someone else had kissed my mate, and I didn't know why it had happened.

I stormed into my bedroom, still couldn't shake off the visual of Theo's lips on Jace's. Jace was mine; his lips were for me alone, not for some random guy.

Is Theo really just a random guy in Jace's life?

I let out a loud grumble. I had the urge to throw things. I wanted to punch a mirror and watch as the shards cut into my skin. Above all else, I wanted to go out and find Theo and literally murder him by putting a bullet into his heart.

I tried to suppress my tears but it only left a heavy burning pain in my chest. I pressed my face into a pillow and screamed; I didn't want anyone to hear me.

Jace should've kissed me, not that asshole who had almost killed him yesterday!

I took out my cell phone and pulled up the text message that was sent about an hour ago. I dialed the unknown number and already knew who would pick up.

"Hello?"

I knew it.

I'd never hated anything or anyone so much in my life before, but Theo's voice was like gasoline on my burning heart. I clawed into the mattress, my sight turned monochromatic. My emotions were out of control and I had to calm down. Focus, I thought to myself. Nothing's going to work if you keep panicking around like this.

"Who the fuck is this?" Theo asked over the silence.

"You pathetic bastard," I growled. "What kind of question is that? You texted this number."

A static silence came out from the phone. The fire in my chest burned wilder; I could feel my whole body growing hot.

"Answer me, you coward!" I screamed. "What do you want? Why are you doing this to Jace?"

I knew Theo planned all of this. I remembered the way he noticed me hiding behind the trees as I followed Jace from behind. He knew I was coming and the kiss he and Jace had shared was obviously strategized.

I breathed out and gripped the phone so hard I was pretty sure it would shatter in my palm. My heart raced and I was trembling. My hands were sweaty. This was not good.

Silence.

"Fuck off, you faggot."

The line went dead.

I crashed backwards onto the mattress and closed my eyes, breathing to relieve the heaviness in my chest. I felt like screaming and obliterating everything near me. The anger throbbed in my head and chest.

 "Jordan?"

I flinched at the voice and sat up.

Jace appeared at the doorway. I didn't want to look at him; I didn't want to see the area of his face my fist had connected with not too long ago. My heartache collided with my anger, leaving the pain to intensify more in my chest. I focused on calming myself and tried to forget.

"Jordan," Jace pleaded, crouching by my feet, "what you witnessed wasn't what you thought it was."

I turned to him.

"I was there and you didn't even pull away from kissing him, Jace," I said, trying to sound calm. "Why?"

"It's hard to explain, but—"