Chapter 4 - Lip-Locked

Black clouds started to cover the blue sky above me. Even nature wasn't pleased with my behavior.

Surrounding me were eyes filled with shock. Standing a few feet away from me were my parents. They were staring at me in apprehension—terror and disappointment filled their faces. Sunny stood there to see what I would do, my brother was muttering something inaudible and the other boys were staring with their mouths wide open.

I was already a coward in their eyes.

That didn't matter now.

Jace was looking straight at me, his eyes were blades that could tear my chest open and rip the truth out of me. I tried to walk backwards but a wall of people blocked my way. No one was on my side. Jace was always the victor when I was his opponent.

My head spun. There was a vibrating sound in my ears and my sight got blurry. My heart was beating so fast. Everything was dreamlike and I wished none of this was true.

"Jordan, come here!" Dan shouted.

The pressing crowd backed away. A straight pathway formed in front of me. In the center were the Alpha and my mate. I stood frozen in place until the boys pushed me from behind. I trembled a few feet away from them and had no choice but to walk forward.

Jace was breathing rapidly like his chest was about to explode. His face was ablaze.

He jumped toward me and Dan stopped him before he could do anything.

"Calm down," Dan said.

"Let me go!" Jace screamed in response. "It's him, Dan! I know it! He's the one! He's the one!"

The crowd gasped. They continued with their whisperings and mutterings as I stood here anticipating death.

"I know, I know," Dan muttered. "Maybe Jordan has something to say. Jordan, please . . . come forward, son."

I was sobbing as I moved closer. My face felt metallic and sturdy, and I felt oddly invincible. My breathing was starting to even out again and I could feel some relief in my chest in realizing that there was nothing left to hide anymore.

Now I had to face the consequences.

I stood on the ground, about three feet away from Dan and Jace. This was the closest distance I could afford to give them. Dan was still holding Jace by his side—if he hadn't the guy probably would have lunged forward and eaten me alive by now.

"Jordan," he said, "you're the one who bears the other half of Jace's soul, aren't you?"

I couldn't answer him.

I felt Jace's warmth when he sprinted forward.

"He asked you a fucking question, you coward!" he screamed. "Answer him!"

I couldn't deny that everything about him was beautiful. Behind the rage in his eyes I could see his vulnerability. Suddenly I wanted to reach out and touch him. I died to feel his skin, to engulf myself in his warmth, to feel every piece of him on me. I wanted to beg on my knees for an apology.

He ruins your life mercilessly, Jordan. Remember that.

"You better answer Dan now!" he screamed.

He held a fistful of my shirt collar in his hand as he pulled me toward him in full force until my eyes met his. Dan wasn't strong enough to keep him from moving anymore. Everyone's eyes were on us like houseflies around an overflowing trash bin. I tried to breathe evenly and not think about the crowd staring at us.