Chapter 15 - Fire

"Jordan, are you okay?"

Dad's voice snapped me back to reality. Mom was mixing her muffin batter, Dad was cutting tomatoes and I was sitting at the kitchen table holding an unfinished sandwich.

His cutting slowed down as he looked at me. "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing."

I wish I can tell you, Dad. I caught Jace kissing someone else. I found out about Adam being Sunny's mate. I think Parker Sebastian is trying to kill my mate.

Parker Sebastian.

 So much had happened to me in one day.

I knew I couldn't tell Dad about my suspicion of Parker and Theo, because I had no proof. I don't think he would have believed me. Heck, I didn't know if I would believe it had I not seen it with my own eyes.But what if Parker really did try to kill Jace? What if one day he would swing out his wand and Jace would puke out his lungs and heart and die? Parker Sebastian was infamous for his parentage; half-wizard and half-vampire. The two had never coincided until Parker came into the world.

Parker's wizardry abilities and vampirism made him lethal. His abilities put him above other immortals. Even a strong werewolf would find it difficult when faced with such an adversary. It would be especially daunting considering it had been decades since any immortal had been faced with a real war.

The possibility of Parker launching an attack on us reminded me of the significance of the full moon hunting and the Combat as our shape-shifting rituals—we needed to remember that it was important to preserve our strength, that there was a potential for danger despite the time or place. We tended to be desensitized to the jeopardy that our ancestors faced; these days not all werewolf kids knew that werewolves were extremely vulnerable to silver metals.

 "Jordan?" Dad said, his voice was pressed this time.

"Sorry. What?" I said. "Oh, I'm alright. I'm just—I'm just—"

"Is there anything I can do for you? Is it mate issues again?" he asked.  

I chuckled and found myself flustering. Things were awkward between my father and me since I found my mate. He had been trying his best to help me in solving my issues, though—he thought I refused to be with Jace because he was a guy.

 "No," I replied, "it's not about Jace."

"How is he now?" he asked.

"He's great, Dad." I looked down, feeling myself flush.  

"Well, you look . . . unsettled," my father said. "You should spend more time with him."

I chuckled. "Why? What makes you say that?"

"Well, when your mother and I found each other, we went on dates. It was beautiful, wasn't it, sweetheart?"

"Yeah . . ." Mom responded lazily, continuing on her mixing bowl.

"Well, trust me, it'll make you feel better," my father told me.

I pushed the last bits of a sandwich into my mouth. "You know what, Dad? That's a great idea. I'm going to go find him now."

"That's my boy."

Jace was nowhere in sight when I returned from Sunny's place. I wasn't sure I was up to facing him at the moment. I needed space without him crowding me. The thought of Theo being Jace's ex-boyfriend still had me in shock.

Dad smiled, and for a second I could feel the weigh in my chest loosen up. He really wanted me to be happy and I couldn't have been more thankful to have a father like him.