Chapter 8

When I wake up the next morning, although I'm still giddy about Jake and I, I remember the other events of last night. I groan and roll out of bed, sitting on the edge of it. I'm dreading seeing Nathan because I'm still furious with him. I also need to go talk to Lucas. I feel awful about what happened. 

I'm not quite ready to face the world yet, so I do what I always do when I'm stressed. After throwing on some clothes, I walk downstairs and into the room that holds our piano. I loved music from a young age, so after a lot of begging, my mom Deb finally signed me up for music lessons at the age of six. I learned how to play the piano, guitar, and drums- although I mostly just play the first two- and I also took vocal lessons. Every once in a while I still meet up with my vocal coach for fun, but I'm pretty good. 

I start off by just playing around a little on the piano, but work my way into a song that I wrote. I don't sing the words because I don't want to wake Nathan and have to face him, but I play the piano portion. When I'm a little ways into the song and completely immersed into the music, I hear a voice from behind me that makes me jump. 

"I swear, you get better and better at playing that thing every time I come home," compliments the voice. Turning around, I gasp at who it is.

"Mom!" I shriek, standing up from the piano and hugging her tightly. She hugs me back and tells me how much she missed me. My mom has been out of town because of her work for weeks, and I had no idea that she was coming back today. I'm not super close with my mom, but I still love her. She's definitely a better parent than Dan. 

My mom pulls back from the hug and I ask her how long she's home for. "Probably a while. Where's your brother? Is he still asleep?" 

I frown at the though of my brother, and she clearly tell something is wrong. I tell her it's nothing, and that I don't know where he is. "I'm really exited to see you mom, but I have to get going. There's something I need to do today. But I'm glad you're back," I hug her one more time and decide it's time to go see Lucas. Because it's still early and teenage guys tend to sleep in, I try his house before the cafe. I don't ring the doorbell; instead I just knock on the black door that connects straight to his bedroom. Hopefully he's already awake. 

The door opens to reveal Lucas, who thankfully I didn't wake up because he's already dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. He looks a little surprised to see me this early in the morning. "Taylor. What are you doing here?"

Suddenly, I don't know what to say. I probably should have  thought of that before coming over here. I decide to start with an apology and see where it goes. "I'm so sorry about last night. I promise I had no idea Nathan was going to play that tape. How are you doing?"

"I'm fine," he assures me. While he seems angry about the tape being shown, he doesn't seem angry at me, which I'm relieved by. I know that I had nothing to do with Nathan showing that tape, but I wanted to make sure he knew that. "It wasn't your fault, you have nothing to apologize for. Besides, I heard about what you did after I left. Thanks. I still can't believe you actually slapped him," he laughs, but I don't join him. That just makes me frown a little. 

"He deserved it," I explain. "I just can't believe Nate would actually stoop that low. I don't know what to say to him next time I face him." 

"I don't know what to tell you. I hate him, but he is your twin."

I obviously still love Nathan, but at the same time I hate who he is becoming. I don't know if I can stand to be around him unless he changes. I don't explain this to Lucas, because I don't know how to put how I really feel into words. Instead, I just ask him what his plans are for the day. He says he has to help Keith out at his auto body shop, so I leave his house so that he can get to work.