Chapter 14

I'm standing behind the counter at the cafe nervously tapping my foot. Lucas let me leave my guitar behind the counter which is why I'm back here.

"I'm scared," I admit to Jake.

My boyfriend places one of his large hands over both of mine on the counter to stop them from shaking.

"You'll be fine. Just look at me if you get nervous. Pretend we're back at my house and I'm the only one you're singing to."

It sounds like good advice, I just don't know If it will work. The guy that is up on the mini platform being used as a stage is nearing the end of his song. Haley comes up to me with a clipboard in her hand. "You're next, Taylor. Good luck."

Haley was surprised when I signed up for the Open Mic Night because she didn't know I could sing. In fact, the only other people who know I'm performing tonight are Jake, Lucas, and Peyton. Jake is also singing a little later tonight.

"You'll be fine," Jake assures me and kisses me for luck. I lift my guitar off the ground and follow Haley to the edge of the platform right as the other guy is stepping off of it. I wait by the edge while Haley steps up to the Mic.

"Once again, I want to thank everyone who showed up tonight," Haley begins. "The next person taking the mic is someone most of you know, Taylor Scott."

All the people from school look really shocked as I switch spots with Haley. I'm just now noticing how packed this place is and my heart begins to race. Doing my best to calm it, I finally address the crowd.

"Hey everyone," I say while adjusting the mic and putting the guitar strap around my neck "I've only ever sung in front of people once in my entire life, and that was a long time ago. I'm sure none of you really had any idea I was coming up here tonight." My eyes make contact with a few familiar faces. Lucas and Peyton have a grin on their faces, and Nathan and Brooke look surprised. "Anyway, this is a song that I have always loved. I hope you like it."

My heart is still running wild, so I look for Jake while adjusting the guitar again. He is still standing by the counter, giving me an encouraging look. I do my best to tune everyone else out, and pretend I'm just by myself.

Everything else seems to fall away when my fingers begin strumming the guitar strings and the words begin flowing out of my mouth. The song that I chose is "Because of You" by Kelly Clarkson. This song has always meant a lot to me because of my strained relationship with my parents. 

The further I get into the song, the more diminished my nerves become. By the time I reach the second chorus, I'm no longer nervous at all. Just ecstatic. Singing gives me a high better than any drug ever could and it feels so much more amazing when I'm not just singing to myself. People are nodding along to the song, and at first when I finish, there is a stunned silence. It could be out of pity for my terrible singing, or amazement at the incredibleness of it. I am beginning to think that maybe it is the former until people begin clapping and cheering. 

"Thank you," I say to the crowd with a huge grin before stepping down from the stage. When I do I am nearly shaking in excitement, my twin is right there to greet me. 

"That was amazing!" Nathan congratulates me and gives me a hug. To be honest, I was a little nervous about what he would think. I love my brother and he loves me, but a part of me couldn't help but wonder if he shared my father's opinion on singing being a useless talent. Now I realize how stupid I was to ever think Nathan is like Dan. 

"It felt amazing," I tell my brother. "I was so nervous, I thought I would do terrible-"

Nathan raises his eyebrows and cuts me off. "Why would you think that? You love singing and you know you're great at it."

Yeah, I've always known I'm not a bad singer, but does he really have to ask why I was scared? Surely he of all people knows why. "Come on, Nate," I say pointedly. "You know why."

His mouth falls into a firm line and his eyes narrow slightly. "Dad?" He can clearly tell by the look on his face that he has guessed correctly. "Taylor, you have to start thinking for yourself. Don't let him control you. God knows I've let him do it with me."

The conversation with my brother ends when the rest of out friends surround me. Brooke and Haley and Peyton gush over me, Jake stands beside me and puts an arm around my shoulders. Lucas also joins our little group and I'm surprised that Nate doesn't walk away or make some harsh comment towards him. Maybe my twin is finally beginning to mature a little. 

"I'm gonna go get ready for my turn," Jake tells me. "But you were amazing. I knew you would be." 

I wish him luck and give him a kiss before turning back to the rest of my friends. The conversation has shifted a little and we're all laughing on about something else, but my mind is somewhere else. Lucas gives me a knowing look and a smile, so I can guess he knows how happy I am. Now that I've had a taste of this, there is no way I am ever letting it go. 

________________________

I know this is the shortest chapter ever known to man, and it's also been a while since I've updated. I'm really sorry, please don't kill me. I'm gonna write a lot later tonight, so hopefully there will be another update tomorrow (a normal length one). 

Comment anything that you guys would like to happen, if it seems like a good idea I might put it into the story <333