Chapter 20

It turns out Mouth McFadden is not that bad of company. We actually had a lot of fun and he managed to get my mind off of Jake. We went mini golfing. At one point my golf ball rolled into the stream running through the course. In an attempt to fetch it for me, Mouth fell into the water. I felt bad but we both laughed really hard at it. After he finally dried off, we even had a nice heart to heart about everything that is wrong in both of out lives. 

All in all, the night went really well. Until it didn't. Once I was back in my apartment, I waited. My thoughts drifted back to Jake and I waited for him to stop by my place like he promised he would after the auction time ran out and his one on one time with whomever bid on him was over. 

After ten minutes without him showing up, I figured he was running late. Thirty minutes later I figured he wasn't going to be able to stop by but would at the very least shoot me a text. By two in the morning I was staring at my ceiling fan in the dark and feeling lost. Jake had never forgotten about our plans before and he always makes sure to text me goodnight. 

The sun was already beginning to rise by the time I fell asleep. 

**********

When I finally woke up the next morning-- or rather, later that day-- I had sleept through all of Saturday morning. The sleep was immediately jolted from me though when I heard something coming through my kitchen. Slowly creeping down the hallway in my pajama shorts and tank top, I let out a relieved breath when I saw that it was only Brooke. She was making a pot of coffee and seemed to be scavenging through my refrigerator for cream.

"Finally!" My best friend exclaimed. "I was beginning to think you were in a coma. I made you some coffee, but where the hell is your cream?"

Brooked slid a mug towards me across the counter and I accepted it graciously. "Cream costs money, which I have very little of. Speaking of money, I have to be at work in a couple of hours."

Brooke sat down at the stool across from me. She had yet to explain what she was doing here. I didn't question how she got in, because she and Nathan both have a key. Despite sleeping through most of the day, I was still too tired to ask her why she was here. Instead I raised my eyebrows at her over my mug of steaming coffee. Despite lacking sugar and cream, it was the most delicious thing I had ever tasted, like a tall glass of water after sixty days in the desert. 

"When you didn't show up at my house on time for our planned spa day, I was a little mad at first," Brooke explained. "But then I figured you and Jake were probably up late last night and I figured I'd let you recover physically from that."

I know what Brooke is implying and I wish it were the truth. My mug clangs against the counter when I slam it down harder then intended. Wincing slightly, I stare into the black drink and mumble my own explanation. "I was up until sunrise and for all I know so was Jake, but I haven't seen him since right after the auction when he snuck off with some girl after arguing with her in the parking lot. He obviously knows the girl who bid on him."

It takes a moment for my words to wash over Brooke. "You're not seriously worried that Jake cheated on you? Come on. He is in love with you."

I don't respond. If I deny that being what I am worried about I would be lying. But if I admit it, that makes me more nervous. It is easier to just not think about. 

"You need to talk to him." Brooke crossed her arms as she said it. It was kind of ironic, getting relationship advice from someone like Brooke. She had only ever loved one person and he was now dating Peyton. 

Standing up from the stool, I walked back towards my bedroom. "I have to get ready for work," I mumbled when I passed by Brooke. I could feel her accusing stare burning into my back the whole walk down the hallway.

**********

By the time my shift ended late that night I still didn't have a single text from Jake. It was definitely time that I spoke to him. I knew I had to do it in person though. So instead of heading home and going to bed-- I was still tired despite only having been awake since after noontime-- I took a detour and drove towards Jake's home. I was grateful to find neither of his parents cars in the driveway when I arrived. I recalled Jake telling me they were down in Georgia visiting family. 

When I reached the front door I hesitated. I never knock at Jake's house, I always just go right in. But I still had no idea why he hadn't spoken to me since yesterday. Was he mad at me? Did this have something to do with that Nikki girl? 

Trying to shake those doubts from my mind, I took a deep break and stepped inside. "Jake?" I called loudly once I had closed the door behind me. It occurred to me then that perhaps I should have called first to make sure he was actually home. But then again, he hadn't been responding to my texts all day. 

I made it to the living room when Jake finally emerged. "Taylor?" He seemed surprised to see me. Or unhappy. "What are you doing here?" 

Despite the secret doubts and fears that were trying to rip at my heart, I tilted my head and tried to appear angry and tough. "You know, just making sure you are actually alive. I was beginning to think you weren't."

An apologetic look crossed over Jake's face. I hoped to God that he was sorry for ignoring me all day, not sorry because he did something like cheat. 

"I'm sorry, Taylor," Jake began and took a step towards me. "I haven't meant to be distant today."

I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at him. "You're going to have to do better than that."

Jake took another step towards me. I hoped he didn't come any closer because if he did I knew I wouldn't be able to resist forgiving him. But I needed an explanation. A real one. Not just an apology. 

"Who was that girl last night?" I questioned him. He started to say something but I cut him off. If he tried making up some lame excuse or lie I was going to be pissed. "And don't you dare say she was no one. I saw you guys in the parking lot. I heard  you."

Jake sighed and pressed his lips together. He ran a hand through his soft hair and I had to look away. I couldn't forgive him just because he looked hot. 

"It was Nikki. She's just someone from my past, someone I hoped I would never have to see again." Jake stopped and looked at me as though he hoped that was enough of an explanation. I raised my chin and didn't say a word but rather asked my next question with my eyed. He knew what I wanted to know. "She and I used to date. But we were over long before you and I started dating. She means nothing  to me. I love you, Taylor Scott. She is just somebody that I used to know. She doesn't even live in Tree Hill anymore."

Jake stepped forward again until he was close enough to touch. I held my arm out to stop him. "So what was she doing here? What did she want?"

Jake's eyes were boring into mine. I stared right back, demanding an answer. "It doesn't matter. It's nothing that she's ever going to get. She's gone now. You have to believe me," Jake pleaded. "Please trust me. Do you trust me?" 

Staring into Jake's eyes, I knew my answer before he had even finished asking the question. Of course I trust him. I love him. 

So instead of answering with words, I allowed Jake to close the distance between us and envelop me in his arms. I prayed I was right in trusting him. I prayed my heart wasn't going to be broken into a million pieces. I've never been the best at putting things back together.