Chapter 9

Every year at Tree Hill High, there's  a father-son basketball game. That game is taking place tonight at the school gym and Dan is obviously playing. It's bound to be dramatic for a few reasons. One, Dan is very competitive. Two, Lucas is on the team. Then there's also all the other drama that has happened in the last few days. Nathan stole Peyton's car while he was drunk, crashed it, and walked away. I gave him hell for it. Anyway, Lucas saw the accident and found Haley's hat in the car. That caused Lucas to find out that she's tutoring Nathan, so they've spent the last few days fighting. They settled a few things this morning, but I don't know if they've completely made up yet. They agreed to stop arguing, but then Haley refused to stop tutoring Nathan. Peyton is sick of Nathan and how he treats Lucas, and the incident with her car was the last straw. She dumped him, but Nathan thinks it's just like all of the other times they've broken up and that they'll be back together in a few days. I think Peyton is finally done with him for good, though. 

This morning I heard Tim and Nathan talking in our driveway while shooting a ball around. Tim asked Nathan about him and Peyton, and Nathan said that the only reason he puts up with her is because when they make up, they have sex. I just want him to realize that she's done with him and they're not getting back together. While they were playing, Dan interrupted and taunted them about how he's going to beat them in the game tonight. This morning was also the first time I spoke with my father without getting in a screaming match with him. It's not like we talked about anything important, he just asked me how cheer's going. I know that he's not changing, that he's still an ass. I still hate him, but it was nice to not argue with him for once. 

Brooke was flirting with Lucas all day at school, too. Lucas is in today's newspaper- there's a picture of him below a picture of Nathan and Dan. The article is about how "Dan Scott's basketball genes turned out to have been inherited by his two sons". Brooke started her antics by telling Lucas that his picture in the paper didn't do him justice. I was next to them when she said that and walked to class right after, so I had a chance to ask her about it. I guess she actually does kind of like Lucas- and not just for sex. I think she might actually want a relationship with him. Other than flirting with Lucas, Brooke spent the day making comments about Jake and I. Whenever she saw me with him, she'd make a comment about us or make strange, sometimes sexual gestures with her hands. 

The most dramatic thing that's happened so far today involved Peyton. We were having a normal cheer practice when Brooke told Peyton that she had the arms wrong. That was nothing unusual- not the Peyton having it wrong part, but Brooke correcting someone. I mean, she's captain. It's what she's supposed to do. Peyton flipped out though. She made a comment about how "it's not brain surgery" and Brooke asked what her problem was. Peyton insulted Brooke, saying that the most important thing in Brooke's life is some lame cheer. Brooke assumed that the reason Peyton was in a bad mood is because her and Nathan broke up, and she said that and told Peyton not to take it out on her. Peyton continued to say that it's not about Nathan, that everything we're doing is pointless, and that she doesn't care about cheer. She threw her pompoms at Brooke and stormed out of the gym. 

Brooke looked speechless, having no idea what had just happened. I honestly can't believe she didn't figure it out. After Peyton stormed out, I followed her because I knew exactly what was going on with her. 

That is why I am now in the middle of a cemetery. I knew that this is where Peyton would be. I find her sitting on a bench in front of her mother's grave attempting to light a cigarette. "Figured I'd find you here," I say from behind her. She doesn't say anything so I sit down next to her on the bench. "You don't smoke, Peyton."

She throws the cigarette onto the ground. "I know. Just figured, since Nathan and I broke up, I've got room for a new bad habit."

I chuckle a little at that. "You can't stay mad at Brooke. She just forgot."