Prologue

[Taleah]

      I gazed into my modest eyes as I stare into the reflection of the white vanity mirror. I was stuck on the soothing color of simple brown tone of them. I saw pure ugliness in my face, but today it seemed brighter. I wanted to be bright as My mother. I looked at my high cheek bones, my skin was dark as tcar, and my hair UGH! I had nothing decent to with it, it was so nappy! I looked over at the thick bristled brush and dragged it through my naps, barely. I tried my best to keep my curls intact for a bun.  In my all white plain bedroom, There’s old photos on the dressor of my best friend and I, now my nights were lonely but my early Sunday mornings.. They were something I looked forward too.

“Taleah, hurry now we’re gonna be late for your daddy’s service!”  My mama yelled to me from her bedroom across the hall in her heavy Louisiana accent.

“Mama I can’t find nothing to do with my hair!” I yelled back to her as I desperately brushed through my hair swiftly. I don’t know why I was even telling her that. She was white. Her hair was way easier to manage. I loved to brush her hair with the white people brush with the wide spiky bristles, it would tread smoothly through her soft hair.

 She walked into the room and threw me a look of pity through her vibrant green eyes. She looked beautiful as always. Her long blondish brown hair that flowed passed her shoulders was curled, and her lips was covered in red cherry lipstick. Her sundress flowed passed her knees. She wore my favorite color bumble bee yellow. She wore a Brown Ralph Lauren sweater to break the barrier of her breast in her tank top.

“Hea ,Just brush it in a pony tail and lets go Tata! We’re late as it is!” she said as she brushed my hair into one and pulled as much as she could into the bow. It wasn’t perfect but I guess she tried. I ran to the closet to find my shoes and they were missing. Aleah! Ugh she was always taking my stuff like it was hers!

I walked to her room and saw her laid out onto her hot pink flowery bed spread. She was on the phone talking in a sexy tone. Sound like she was saying something dirty. Shameful, and right before church! I slapped her leg when I saw she had my shoes on.

“TAKE THEM OFF NOW!” I yelled to her.

“Ugh hold on baby,” She said in her sexy tone again “Don’t you see I’m on the phone! Shut up!” she yelled as she held her hand over the receiver. I wanted to slap her, but I wasn’t about to sin on a Sunday.

“Ugh just put on some other shoes and lets go Taleah!” mama yelled as she walked passed Aleahs doorway with her coach purse clutched under her arm. She always was annoyed with me. She didn’t even stop to acknowledge that Aleah was on a phone with a boy, Probably was Miles. I ran into my room and saw that basically all my dress shoes was missing.

“Hurry up Taleah!” mama yelled from down stairs. I grabbed my black polo sneakers and ran barefoot downstairs into the driveway.

I watched as Daddy spoke Loud and proud behind his podium to the church. His words pierced my soul with each spoken. He stood strong at tall at 6’2. His skin was smooth and as dark as I wore mine. His Smiled brightening the room as his goatee coated it. My mom smiled at him like he was her prize. He was a very handsome man, And me and my mama wasn’t the only women who thought that. Every chance the single and even married women of the church could, they would bat their sinning eyes in his direction.

I looked over to Miles Gibson he was so cute! His eyes looked tired, they was hazel and his skin was silky mocha brown. I watched his arms and how licked his lips. Looked as if he got a fresh haircut. I was sea sick by the waves he wore on his head. He was sitting behind the drums holding his drumsticks ready for the next song to spontaneous take place. Miles was my best friend, but that’s where it stopped because like every other boy in Baton Rouge ,Louisiana He had his eyes on my lighter more attractive sister. We were different from many twins you could ever meet. Yeah we was totally different from one another , but it went way past that. I despised her existence, because she always made mine harder. She always got the attention because she had much more appealing looks. Her skin was light like mama’s, her hair was European like the weave girls in my school bought to fit in, and her eyes was stormy grey. I felt she did everything in her power to sabotage my social life! She didn’t even care about Miles, but she knew I did so she played his games and they finally got together. And Once Again She was the sun and I was just a mere shadow behind her.

“I’m gonna call my baby Taleah up to sang silver and gold!” my daddy spoke deeply into the mic interrupting my thoughts. The church clapped and my mother tugged at my shoulder to head on stage. “Gon’ girl! Sang that song for the Lord!” she said as she wore a wide smile.

I always felt safest on this stage, it was the only place where I got all the attention. I gripped the mic into my palm to see all these anxious faces ready to hear me blow. My voice resembled Faith evans. I pressed my lips to the mic and began to let go….

“Silver and Gold, Silver and GO-OLD. I rather have JESUS! Than silver and gold!”