Goodbyes

My mother came in, tears streaked down her face, with Manta and Abby. I bawled as she patted my back, trying to soothe me, but nothing would work. I would have to fight to the death against my brother on live television. "Shhh sweetie. It's okay, Cerry." she said, stroking my hair. She sounded so calm, so in control. She was trying not to cry, trying to be strong for me. She was about to lose at least one of her children, yet she was feigning bravery to keep me calm. I would do the same for her.

"Mom." I said.

she let go of me, and I took her hands and held them.

"It's okay Mom. Remember our...skills. We can just hide underwater the whole time, no one'll find us there..." I trailed off.

"No sweetie. You have to make the audience love you. If you just hide, you two will be the only ones left, and you will have to kill each other. No, you have to make everyone like you so much, that they will ask for both of you to live. Okay?'' my mother says, firmly.

I hope that will work, I really do. I refuse to let my brother die. I know he will feel the same way.

"I love you mom." I say, holding back the urge to throw myself I to her arms again. "I will try to come back, I'll try to bring both of us back."

Manta looked up at me, with tears in his eyes. "I don't want you to die,I Cerry." He says solemnly. "Don't worry, I'll try not to." I plant a kiss on his head, and say "I love you, Manta."

Abby looks up at me with those big green eyes of hers, now pink and puffy from crying. "I-I -I l-love you, C-c-c-cer-ry! I d-d-don't want y-you to d-d-die! or C-Cory, ei-either!" she was sobbing so hard she was stuttering on every word. "Abby, it's okay. I love you, too." I embrace her, patting her back and stroking her hair, just as my mother did.

"Cerry?" Abby said, hopefully, calm enough to speak without stuttering.

"Yeah, Abby? " I replied calmly.

"Will you wear the - the hair clip I made you? with the shells?" she says.

"Of course I will, Abby. I'll treasure it." I reply honestly.

Each tribute is allowed to wear one token to symbolize their district. I'm glad Abby thought about that, I never would have.

The guards, or Peacekeepers, come and say that the time is up, my family must go now.

"No!" Screams Abby. "Cerry, don't go!" she grabs my stomach

"Abby, go with mom. I love you, you have to go. Go see Cory!"

And the Peacekeepers drag her out of the room, and my next visitor comes in. Her name is Della Duncan, one of the few friends I have. She is one of the girls that I often sell abalone to, since her dad runs one of the main restaurants in town. We have grown to be friends, her showing various recipes and fruits and herbs in their garden, and I often show her the coral reef. She smiles bravely at me, and embraces me.

"Cerry, you'll be fine. The capitol wont make you fight your brother, right?" she asks.

I don't know" I sigh. "Della, will you make sure that my family is okay? That my mom keeps the bait shop and people keep coming there?"

"Of course. " she replies seriously. I know she will keep her promise.

The Peacekeeper signals that time is up, and Della leaves, saying, "You'll be fine, Cerry!"

Next, my boyfriend, Nett, comes in. My heart leaps at the sight of him, then falls just as fast. I may never get to see him again. I could die, on live television, amd hed be watching. I couldn't bear the thought. I ran into his arms and just wept for a minute. His strong, tan arms were so comforting, his light blue polo so soft, my head resting on his shoulder so familiar, that I started crying even harder. "Cerry...I...I love you so much. I want to say come back, but that would be so selfish. .. I don't wat you to kill Cory to see me, I mean, he's great, ive known you guys forever. .." he trailed off.

"Nett. I love you. I want to see you again, I really do. I love how you can read me so well, how you can make me smile, always. I love our long walks on the beach, our low tide swims, I want to come back, but id have to kill people, I cant do that! But I swear, I will try to come back to you, I really will, Nett." I said solemnly, and started crying again.

"Cerulean Pearl Tanner. I have known you all my life, and I really wanted to volunteer for Cory, but I couldn't bear the thought of killing you or anyone else. I was even considering volunteering for you, but I didn't think they'd allow it, and -"

''time's up." The peacekeepers shouted from outside.

"I love you, Nett!" I said, my voice cracking with emotion.

"I love you, too, Cerry. Goodb-"

"No! Don't say that! Goodbye is too final! Say...say...''

"See you later, Cerulean. I'll always love you.'' he kissed me on the cheek as the Peacekeepers came in and led him out the door.

"See you later Nett" I whispered. I start sobbing, thinking that if I can ever see my Mom, Abby, Manta, Della, or Nett again, then Cory won't be able to see any of them again. That thought brings on even more tears, so I wait there, sobbing, anticipating the moment when Challie Bobbin will come to say it is time to go. She comes, but instead, she simply says to me, "Come back onstage, dear. There has been a slight change in plans."