Chapter 8: Light and Dark, Day and Night, The Sinner and the Pure...Yin and Yang

Fakir walked silently to class beside Ahira. A black swan feather...and a spastic white swan? What was with birds in this town? He wondered what exactly was going on...

They entered the class to see most others were practicing the pas-de-deux of the Prince and Swan. He started to wonder why it had taken Ahiru such a long time to practice on her own last night. He watched the Director walk through the class, his eyes lingering on the other dancers.

"Times up. Class is starting. Find your partners and we will see who took enough time to practice. Pas-de-deux you have to depend on your partner...you have to fill the role... If it is not natural...you will not complete such task." Director Kugamaii's silver eyes, piercing the crowd, narrow chin high, finally resting his eyes on Ahira. "Now, I shall watch." He looked away sharply.

"I'm sure you're practice will be worth it, I know you can impress him so you-" Fakir said as they prepared.

"I'm not worried." She said rather bluntly, in a way that threw Fakir off. So maybe Ahiru had gained a confidence from all the practice and praise from the Director? The music started and so did they.

The Director walked around. No two partner fit the part. No person seemed to have the same ability in this pas-de-deux as the couple Fakir and Ahiru did. He was right. His eyes drifted to see a change in the girl. She danced more objectively, with more strength and confidence. She was not she. He ended the music rather abruptly.

"So I see our star couple is the only one once again to fulfill this task. However I must mention...Ahiru was it? Your style has changed...or maybe...maybe it was a more a change in character?" His smile seemed sly but satisfied as he passed the two. "Next class... I want to see the Prince and Odile's paux-de-deus. However...please work on the other as well...as third year students I should expect that the two should be well known by the end of this year...your abilities should excel my expectations...all I ask is that you perform what I ask of you." His eyes locked with Ahira, and she looked back at him with an obedient confidence. "You may practice longer here for the evening, but I suggest you take it upon your self to even the scales."

Fakir wondered why he'd once again, taken a liking to Ahriu's style. Ahiru had seemed different since last night.

"Wow, Ahiru you were so good!" Lillie doted with some of the other dancers.

"I know. Thanks." Ahira smiled confidently. Fakir, again was taken back by her change...normally Ahiru would have become speechless to their words, or gratefully appreciated them...was she changing or was it just a phase?

"With that cocky attitude you would be better off playing Odile." Pique muttered just loud enough to reach the group standing around her. Ahira looked at Pique with a small confident smirk.

"You okay Ahiru?" Fakir said, as she turned to look at him, now with an innocent smile. Pique and Lillie had been her best friends...this distance she was keeping wasn't something she wanted right?

"Perfectly fine." She gleamed and left with him.

Ahiru had been pacing...or rather waddling around back and forth at the lake. She needed to change back now! But no matter how many times she entered the water she couldn't! She couldn't, she couldn't, she couldn't! She couldn't be stuck like this? Not after she'd just switched back?

The sun was going down slowly...Fakir should be back from class soon! Maybe she could get him to-

"Being a bird sucks doesn't it?"

She turned to see herself, as a human smiling back at her. "When you finally figure out what's going on, it will be too late for Fakir. I will perform my master's orders and then I will get my wish. To be human forever. I was made to become you're dark side, and soon I will become you."