Chapter 3: Pas De Deux

Fakir changed his clothes. What was this new director thinking? Most auditions were solos for the reason that the person auditioning didn't depend on the partner...or to show male strength...never for a woman's audition on the first try. He hoped Ahiru would have it in her to perform the way she did when she had Princess Tutu behind her.

Ahiru put on her new leotard and her pointe shoes. She needed to stretch terribly, and she needed to warm up. She did some side stretches, hamstrings, and went up and down on pointe with some plies. She'd dreamed of dancing again as a Duck, but now...two years later...did she have it in her to perform to the new Director's expectations? She went into the room to see the Director already waiting.

"Good, now once your partner arrives, we'll start." He said looking at her. He wasn't old and crotchety , or even deranged like Cat-sensei was...he seemed aged by his hair...but his face was somewhat youthful. Maybe he was in his 30's...forty's at most? Ahiru bit her lip. He seemed professional...and yet he wasn't wearing any dance wear himself.

Fakir walked in and saw Ahiru already standing there. He walked beside her. "What do you want us to perform?"

"Swan Lake, Pas-de-deux. The Prince and the White Swan. Do you know?" He said turning away.

"It's a harder, but we've been taught on occasion." Fakir answered, as he saw Ahiru's face drop a bit. "Follow me." He leaned to her and whispered.

Ahiru nodded, just before the Director turned around again. "Good. I'll have the music ready in a moment. You may prepare."

Ahiru gulped. Her hair was up in a bun, and tried to think about being graceful in her new leotard and shoes. They'd barely been worked in. She tried to recall the pas-de-deux from Swan Lake which she'd performed once as Princess Tutu on her own. She didn't know if she could actually do it as herself this time and looked to Fakir who somehow managed to look as confident as possible. Then again this wasn't his audition...it was hers.

Director Kugamaii played the music and they got in position. She began slightly awkwardly, bending down and reaching over her toe on the floor.

"Think...like a Swan. Like a swan." She repeated in her mind, harshly to herself.

She rose and felt Fakir's hands softly over the outside of hers. "Relax." He whispered to her. She felt him guide her into a pirouette, and into her arabesque and ponche, as his hands beneath hers gave her a slight reassurance. Suddenly they began to dance as if nobody else was in the room.

Fakir felt a slight bit of strange comfort in this pas-de-deux. He'd only done it once or twice before with another partner, one of which time happened to be Rue. Still, as he leaned over as Ahiru arched her back to the floor via his support, he wondered why now, with Ahiru it seemed so familiar.

Ahiru felt a grace come to her like an old memory in Fakir's supporting arms. She knew he wouldn't drop her, and with his support, the pieces of the routine came in her mind. The pain of her shoes came secondary to the lightness she felt. She almost felt like she did as Princess Tutu dancing...she almost felt...graceful...like a swan.

The two finished just as the music took pause, and the Director gave a slow applaud. "Very nice. Other than the odd, tweak I'd say you both have an apt ability for such a pas-de-deux. I'd recommend you stay partners for this reason. Ahiru was it? Well I will see you both in class on monday. We will set you up then with a room. Do you need one as well?" He looked to Fakir, with his silver eyes.

"No, I remain in my own home, just outside the grounds."

"Suit yourself." He nodded and began to walk away. "It seems I am on the beginning of finding my pair." He said to himself as he disappeared into the long hallway to his office.