Chapter 15

"To be in your children's memories tomorrow,
You have to be in their lives today." Barbara Johnson

---

Chapter Fifteen

Every so often, the newspapers caught wind of a story that would entirely capture the nation's interest.

It just so happened that the kidnapping of Jamie Cassidy became the story of the century.

Jamie was the child of a blind naval hero and his comatose wife, as well as the nephew of one of the wealthiest aristocrats in England. The press were having a field day with the sorrow of the Cassidy family.

The only benefit was that every man and his dog knew who Jamie was, and what he looked like thanks to the portrait that a reporter had somehow acquired.

Matthew would have been very angry with whomever it was that distributed Jamie's portrait without the permission of his parents were it not so helpful to his quest.

Matthew had left Annaliese and their children in Bath to care for Isabella while Helena looked after Luke.

Matthew knew that if their positions were reversed, Luke would do the same for him, so he did not hesitate in forming a search party to cover the entire country if he had to. That woman had taken a member of his family from within his own home, in the meantime harming two of the kindest, and most unfortunate, people in Luke and Isabella.

This was a crime that would not go unpunished.

Matthew had sent word to the British naval office of Jamie's kidnapping, and was inundated with offers from naval men that had once served with Luke. The police were also involved, and were coordinating the search from London.

As Matthew was more familiar with the West Country, he, Eleanor, and Commander Lockwood coordinated their squadron of volunteers in their search for Jamie.

"Jamie's portrait is in the window of every post office in Dorset, Sir Matthew," said Lieutenant Hartwell, "and the Devon party should be back sometime today as well."

"Thank you," murmured Matthew as he concentrated on a map of the English counties. Lieutenant Hartwell was one of the first navy men to volunteer his services. Matthew had learned that Luke had been the Lieutenant's captain aboard the HMS Bradbury on the day of the attack. Lieutenant Hartwell had recruited much of Luke's original crew to help search for their Captain's son.

Matthew stared at the map in front of him as he had done most days when he was not out searching himself. Jamie had been missing for a fortnight now. He was not stupid. Matthew knew the likelihood of them being able to find Jamie. People could only go on searching for so long.

Matthew had to pray that in her own deranged way, Mary loved Jamie, and that no harm would come to him.

But what would it do to his brother and Isabella if Mary hurt Jamie? What if Jamie was, God forbid, dead?

Matthew took a deep breath. Such thoughts would not locate his nephew.

"Would you like some tea?" asked Eleanor softly.

Matthew snapped out of his internal worries and looked down at his young sister-in-law. Eleanor had been caring for Isabella with Annaliese but had elected to help with the search. She wanted to feel useful, she had said, and waiting for Isabella to wake up was horrible.

Even though Eleanor was still a child, barely seventeen, she had grown up a lot over these last few months. She had done so while attention was elsewhere. She was a good girl, and Matthew appreciated her help.