twenty-five.

Day 24.

"It's cliche, but we're doing it." Jack announced at breakfast, slapping a piece of paper on the table. I looked at him with a quirked brow, my gaze trailing over to the bright words sprawled across the flier: Oahu's Annual Summer Festival! Admittedly, it was sort of cliche to go to some amusement-park-type of event at the end of a vacation, but I didn't mind one bit as long as we could all have fun.

"Looks cute, I'm in." I responded in a casual manner. I wasn't the best actress, but I hoped I could mask how excited I really was.

"A double date it is, eh, Skathan?" Sammy retorted, slinging an arm around Nate's shoulders.

"Oh, yes! I'd go anywhere with you, Sammy." Nate cooed. They both made kissy faces at each other then burst into laughter before giving Jack and me mocking looks. It was embarrassing in a way, but at the same time, I couldn't help but laugh along with them. We've all grown so much closer over the past month that I could hardly get seriously mad at either of them anymore.

"So... Our third date in three weeks. We're getting pretty serious, huh, baby?" Jack said as he stood behind my seated figure and draped his arms around my neck, kissing the top of my head. It was almost a habitual reaction to blush, although I thanked the Heavens that it wasn't as bad as it used to be. I placed a delicate hand on his forearm and smiled up at him like I wasn't absolutely burning inside.

"I'd say it isn't serious until after the third date, when you're coming back for a fourth." I stated. But who was I to decide when things were serious? I'd never even been on a first date before he took me on one.

"Well then I guess I better start planning for another date." He announced.

"Within the next week? Ha, I don't think so." I shook my head, although I was really hoping that he'd concoct some sort of surprise date before we left Hawaii.

"What do you mean in a week? We have all the time in the world, Mar. You didn't think I'd leave you alone after the vacation, did you?" He asked in a unexpectedly surprised tone. Before I could answer, though, he continued. "Even if you win the bet, which you won't, I'd only leave you alone if you still wanted me to. Do you?"

I pursed my lips. Of course I didn't. I wanted the exact opposite, which involved Jack being my real boyfriend instead of someone who was trying to prove a point by being the absolute best guy he could be. "I'm not quitting the bet if that's what you're asking. But– I suppose we can make some.. changes to the deal when I win." But did I really want to win anymore? That would mean Jack would break his commitment to me, and I sure as hell wasn't prepared to endure that heartbreak.

"We'll see in a week." He smiled down at me, then pressed a kiss to my forehead before parting to clean up the table. I was terrified to see the results of the bet. After all, a lot can happen in just one week.

* * * *

"Where do you wanna go first?" Jack asked as we walked hand-in-hand onto the amusement park grounds with the boys a few feet ahead. I observed the various rides and game booths, ultimately deciding that I wanted to start off with the simple carousel. "Really, babe?" He smirked in amusement, though I could tell that he was just as excited as I was. There weren't many things that he could hide from me now, and that was both a blessing and a curse because it only meant that we were growing closer.

"Don't act like you don't want that golden ring." I giggled before taking his hand and tugging him to the ride.

"Oh, I'm getting that ring. I'm just offended that you'd pick such an amateur game for us." He teased.