eight.

Day 4.

The buzzes of multiple motor vehicles rang in my ears as I squinted against the glare of the sun, watching numerous people driving around in said vehicles. We were about to go on yet another tour of some sort, this time involving all kinds of motor contraptions, which was perfect for the three rambunctious boys around me. Well, at least I had control of this ride. Adjusting the helmet under my arm, I turned towards Jack, who was signing some safety agreement form.

"Remind me again why I'm here after I nearly broke my neck from yesterday's adventure?" I sassed, tilting my head. Jack chuckled, handing the clipboard over once he was done before grinning stupidly at me.

"Because you love being around me." He sang. I rolled my eyes, huffing and looking over at the other two boys, who were getting ready to drive off in their dune buggy.

"Why can't I ride in a buggy like Sammy and Nate?" I pouted. In truth, I was more so wondering why I had to be riding with Jack on this tiny little four-wheeler instead of going on my own, where I'd be much more comfortable. Let's also throw in the fact that we would be in close proximity, and although I had warmed up to him a little bit yesterday, the thought of sitting up against him made my insides churn.

"Why so many questions?" He retorted, sitting on the ATV and looking up at me. "Are you scared?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed as if it was the most obvious answer in the world. Rather than sympathizing with me, however, he just laughed and put his helmet on.

"Don't worry, Mar. That's why I'm here." He smiled. Once he was given the OK, he turned the engine on and the vehicle roared to life. "You coming or not, damsel in distress?" I contemplated it for a moment, seeing how everyone else seemed to be enjoying their rides, children included. I certainly didn't want to be a Debby downer, so I climbed on behind Jack, grumbling complaints to myself as I put my helmet on. "Hold on tight, babe. It's gonna get rough." I could almost sense the smirk on his face, but I didn't have any space to react as he rocketed off to the open terrain.

"Jack!" I squealed, flinging my arms around his torso for support. I could hear his melodious laugh over the rumble of the vehicle, but his hand never once eased up on the throttle.

"Hey, hey, hey, there they are!" Nate called out, driving up beside us. "Race you to the edge of the forest?" My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets as I shook my head with fierce refusal.

"Absolutely no–" I started, only to be cut off by the revving of our four-wheeler.

"Go!" Jack yelled, taking off ahead of Sammy and Nate.

"Jack, be careful!" I shrieked as the ground seemed to be growing bumpier by the second, making this ride anything but comfortable as my body thrashed around behind Jack. "I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die!" I found myself repeating, whereas Jack was having the time of his life, laughing and yelling playful insults at the other two. Over his shoulder, I could see the forest up ahead, and I breathed a sigh of relief until I realized how fast it was approaching. "We're gonna crash into that damn tree!"

"Relax, Mar! Watch this," Our speed accelerated and I tightened my arms around him, peeking my eyes open to watch as he turned at the last minute, drifting to the left and creating a dust cloud around us. Relief washed over me at the fact that we hadn't totaled ourselves, but my heart felt like it was going to burst from my chest. Jack finally came to a stop in front of Sam and Nate's buggy, and he stood up, throwing his arms in the air with a barbaric victory cry.

"Man, that was just dumb luck." Nate shook his head, waving off Jack's boastful performance.

"You guys are crazy!" I exclaimed, taking my helmet off before I would end up hyperventilating in the thing. "Oh my god, I almost died! Again!" Instead of the concern they had shown yesterday, all three of the boys harmonized in laughter. I was beginning to think that this feeling would soon become a daily thing for me.