Chapter XV

Remus rushed her through the passage ways and through the halls of the castle.

" I can't believe we are late, Dumbledore gave me one task and I already blew it." Remus muttered more to himself than to Alice.

"It's okay Remus, I'll just say it was my fault. Severus knows I didn't want to be sorted in front of everybody, they will never blame you for it." she reassured.

" That's not fair to you Alice, I don't want to get you in trouble." he said. She laughed.

The two eventually got up to the large double doors of the Great Hall. She could hear a singular, unfamiliar booming voice followed by a round of applause. At this, Remus nodded to her, inferring it was a good moment to enter. As the doors opened to the stream of applause that hit them even louder, as did wonderful smells of food and sweets. Alice was utterly blown away. She never had before been in a room with so many people, nor had she ever seen so many people her age. She was filled with excitement and anxiety all at once. Her attention was brought directly to a man who shot up from the long table at the front of the room. Even though he was quite far away from her she could tell right away that it was Severus. The applause turned into silence at his movement and hundreds of eyes turned in their direction to see what had alerted their Potion's Professor. She didn't know where to put her eyes, so she turned to Remus who smiled at here sheepishly before the voice of Albus Dumbledore broke the silence and Severus slowly returned to his chair.

"Ah, just in time," Dumbledore spoke.

"Along with our first years, we have a transfer student joining us, and I am sure you will all give her the warmest of welcomes, Alice Evans." he gestured at her. Remus tapped her shoulder insisting she join Dumbledore at the front of the hall. The walk across the Great Hall seemed endless. The stares and whispers she heard from the students as she walked by hit her in waves. As she progressively got closer to the front, the Sorting Hat finally came into view, being held by a tall, older looking witch wearing emerald green robes and a prim expression. She smiled at Alice as she took a seat on the stool that looked slightly too small for her and placed the hat upon her head. She looked at Dumbledore who smiled, eyes twinkling over top of his half moon glasses.

"My, my, very interesting," the Sorting Hat boomed, startling Alice.

"The oldest I have ever sorted in fact, but where to put you..." he pondered. Alice had never felt so nervous in her life, her stomach felt as though it was in her throat. She was glad it had been able to read her mind, as she would not have been able to speak.

"A fine mind indeed, but far more of an idealist, ah, yes a lovely imagination too. I see courage as well, however very thoughtful and altruistic, but rather tentative. Hmmmmm..." Alice closed her eyes in a squint preparing for the worst.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" the hat bellowed and the largest smile grew on Alice's face as the table on the far right broke into applause and cheers for her. Not Slytherin. She was not in Slytherin. The older witch took the hat of Alice's head with a surprised look at Dumbledore who smiled and clapped along with the Hufflepuff table. Alice raised her eyebrows with excitement at Remus who returned her look with a thumbs up as she made her way to the Hufflepuff table.

"Welcome Miss Evans!" mumbled the Fat Friar while tearing into a turkey leg. She waved politely and aimed for an empty seat amongst the first years until a girl who looked about her age called her over pointing to the empty seat beside her. The girl had reddish-brown hair tied back in a loose ponytail with pieces falling out with a messy elegance Alice used to wish she could achieve when she had longer hair. She had a small rounded nose that sat closer to her small defined upper lip than it did her wide turquoise eyes. Alice took a seat beside the girl.