Chapter XIV

When Alice opened her eyes again she was standing alone with her trunk at her feet at King's Cross Station. She had never been to such a place before. With amazingly high ceilings and a clutter of people weaving in and out of each other along the platforms. She felt overwhelmed in an instant and became anxious as people pushed past her. Suddenly she felt soft arms gently wrap around her and took in a warm breath scented with wool and fresh parchment.

"Remus!" She whipped around and hugged him.

"It's good to see you, how have you been feeling?" He asked.
"I'm okay now," she confirmed.
"How have you been?" she smiled.

"Never been better," he replied giving her head a pat as if she would a puppy. He gestured her to take his hand.

"So I don't lose you," he said with that warm smile that made her giggle uncontrollably.  He lead her through the crowds of people, whilst making small talk about Hogwarts. Apparently she will be getting private lessons instead, but she will get to pick some electives to take as they don't necessarily require strong magical skills.
" I must admit it is a little disappointing that I don't get to be your niece at Hogwarts, I was looking forward to unconditional favouritism." She jested.
"Well being my only student you may
Think you would be guaranteed the position of my favourite student, but I wouldn't get your hopes up, I'm not easily impressed." He smiled at her playfully as she turned up her nose to him.

They saw other Hogwarts students in their robes with large trolleys of trunks and owls, saying goodbye to their parents as they look teary eyed as their kids board the train. Alice couldn't help but feel envious, wishing she had a family, and a mother to hug her goodbye. As she glazed at all the students she recognized the girls she had met at Diagon Alley. She accidentally made eye contact with the one she remembered as Romilda Vain. She looked at Alice strangely and then whispered to the other girls who stared back at her in the same strange way Romilda had. It was then she realized she was still holding Remus' hand. She quickly let go, hoping Romilda hadn't noticed.

Her and Remus boarded the train, Alice tried her best to not notice Romilda and the other girls snickers as they walked past. The train was quite lovely, she didn't really know what to expect as she had never been on a train before, but she was pleasantly surprised at how cozy it was on the inside compared to the cold metal outside. Remus found an empty corridor and went and sat down, she followed.

"Ah you don't want to sit in here with your old professor, you can take off and meet some of the other students."

"That's alright, I'd rather stay with you to be honest, if that's okay?" She asked

"Of course ," he said as she took the seat next to him.

As the train started moving and after an hour or so the trolley took its rounds.

"You hungry?" Remus asked Alice.

"Yeah a bit peckish, how about you?" She asked.

"I'm in a mood for a chocolate frog I think." Remus said with chuckle.

"Ooo what are those?" She asked very intrigued.

"You've never had a chocolate frog!?" He asked surprised.

"Well now we must get one." He declared. He paid the trolley lady and got two purple boxes and handed one to Alice and sat down again beside her.

"Okay, so the trick with these is to be quick. You pull the wire and then get ready grab it, ready?" She nodded excitedly.

"On three, one, two, three." They both pulled the cord out to reveal the little chocolates moving about. Lupin quickly grabbed his and started to eat it while Alice looked on in shock. "I don't think I can eat it! Not while it's moving around like that!" She exclaimed slamming the lid back down. He laughed despite his mouth still full with the candy.