Cap 2

//I think there's a fault in my code,
These voices won't leave me alone,
Well my heart is gold and my hands are cold

Are you insane likeme? Been in pain like me?
Bought a hundred dollar bottle of champagne likeme?
Just to pour that motherfucker down the drainlike me?
Would you use your water bill to dry the stainlike me?

And all the people say:
"You can't wake up, this is not a dream
You're part of a machine, you are not a humanbeing
With your face all made up, living on a screen
Low on self-esteem, so you run on gasoline"
 //   

***

New Avengers facility

Location: New York

"I've failed, Natasha," I said ashamed to my friend when I arrived back to the Avengers facility, after the unsuccessful mission.

"No, you haven't!" she opposed me.

"I let him go!" I groaned.

"You were just following orders..." she tried to calm me down. "...besides, you proved to everyone you won't give up so easily," she winkled at me.

That made me feel better, so I responded with a smile and after that, we walked silently into the conference room, where we've been called in.

There were already present some of the Avengers, including Captain America, who looked very angry. That didn't surprise me. If I were him, I would feel the same way.

After never-ending ten minutes someone finally came to the room and interrupted the awkward silence.

"My name is Thaddeus Ross and I'm the United States' Secretary of State," introduced himself a man in a black suit with a grey hair and grizzled black moustache, who was well known to everyone. "I've been called here to present you a serious reason why is the U.S. Government becoming more and more concerned..." as soon as he finished speaking, he put a flash drive into his computer and after that, some footages from the events in New York, Washington, D.C. and Sokovia appeared in the big screen in front of us.

The footages were not pretty. There were many destroyed buildings, threatened and also killed civilians, destruction, panic and fear... Soon everyone wanted to stop looking at those footages because it brought them a horrifying memories, mainly to the new Avengers.

"OK, that's enough," intervened Steve and made Mr. Ross to stop it.

"Captain, people are afraid. They don't know, if they can still trust to the Avengers..." said Mr. Ross seriously. "...You operated with unlimited power and no supervision; that's something the world can no longer tolerate."

"What exactly does it mean?" asked Steve moving his hand from underneath his head and leaning them on the table.

"It means that your team will be from now accountable to a higher authority," answered Mr. Ross and everyone could not believe what they're hearing.

"You can't do that!" responded unfriendly, until now calm, Steve.

"It is the final conclusion, Captain. We have to control the Avengers' actions to prevent any further disasters."

"And who is going to do that, S.H.I.E.L.D.?" Steve raised his eyebrow and sceptically grinned at me. I returned it to him by a frowning.

"No! Just not that!" Mr. Ross responded partly frightened and partly amused, which upset me.

"Beg your pardon!" I said sharply, letting him know that I'm with S.H.I.E.L.D.

"I just don't have a good experiences with S.H.I.E.L.D. You have to understand that, agent," he tried to act friendly, but it didn't work out well.