3.

"X equals three, Mrs. James." Oliver said.

Brooklyn nodded. "Good. Can you come up to the board and show us how you got three?" Oliver stood up and began to walk towards the white board. As he was walking, the class clown, Shavez, tripped him and made him fall. The classroom filled with laughter.

Brooklyn frowned. She felt bad for Oliver. He was new to the school and the area. His parents recently got divorced and he had to stay with his aunt until things were settled.

"What is wrong with you, Shavez?" Brooklyn  snapped as she helped Oliver.

Shavez sucked his teeth. "That white boy is alright. Stop buggin'."

"Stop buggin'?! You know what—get out of my classroom!" Brooklyn yelled. "The fact you think this is okay is beyond me, Shavez!"

"What the fuck is wrong with you, lady? My mama doesn't even talk to me like that. You better watch yourself!" Shavez snapped back.

"Boy, I will lay yo ass out like yo mama should have!" Brooklyn said, getting into his face.

Shavez tightened his jaw and shook his head. "You ain't even worth it."

"Damn right I'm not and I will be telling Coach James about your actions. Now get out." Brooklyn said.

Shavez sucked his teeth as he gathered his things. He walked out of the classroom and the class began to whisper. 

"Shut up." Brooklyn said and they did as told. "Two main things I don't tolerate in my classroom are bullying and disrespect. Let Shavez be an example. I'm here to teach and help yall be better but if you wanna act like a hoodlum on the street then I will treat you like a hoodlum on the street. Understood?"

There were some head nods and verbal responses. Everyone knew Brooklyn and Cleo were from the hood. They also knew Brooklyn could hold down her own. They wouldn't dare try the James couple and if one did, he or she would quickly back away like Shavez did. Brooklyn and Cleo are not your ordinary school staff members.

-

"Poor baby." Brooklyn said as she took Nigel away from Cleo's mother. "Has he been crying like this all day?"

"He's been whining but he's acting a fool now that you're home." Adele said.

Brooklyn laughed. "Of course. I can't wait until he's done teething. Nicole wasn't this bad."

"He gets that shit from his daddy." Adele replied, making Brooklyn laugh again.

Cleo walked into the house with Nicole and Theodore behind him. He kissed his wife, mother, and son. "Thank you for coming to the house and looking after Nigel, ma."

"You know I'll do anything for yall." Adele said. "I went ahead and made dinner. Nigel already ate so if he cries for food then he's being greedy."

Cleo laughed. "Aight, ma. Thank you."

"You're welcome." She kissed her grandkids, including Theodore and left.

"Teddy, you and Nicole can go ahead and eat while I talk to CJ." Brooklyn said. Theodore nodded and led the way to the kitchen.

"What's up?" Cleo asked as he sat next to his wife.

"Shavez showed his ass in my classroom. He tripped my new student and made him fall then he got buck with me after I fussed at him about it." Brooklyn said.

Cleo shook his head. "I'm gonna be on his ass tomorrow during practice. He knows better than that."

"I'm gonna see if I can have a conversation with his mom." Brooklyn got up with Nigel in her arms. "Lets go eat."