1.

(Brooklyn)

(Cleo)

Los Angeles, CAPresent Day

Los Angeles, CA
Present Day

Brooklyn looked down at her ten month old son who was holding onto her leg as she cooked dinner. She picked him up and kissed his cheek.

"Nicole!" Brooklyn yelled.

The seven year old girl walked into the kitchen. "Yes mama?"

"Can you take Nigel for me?"

Nicole held out her arms for Nigel. He smiled and shook his head at his big sister. "Mommy, he's not coming." Nicole said.

"Nigel, go to your sissy." Brooklyn said. Nigel reached his arms out to his sister and she took him. "Put on Sesame Street for him." Nicole nodded and walked into the living room with her little brother on her hip.

Cleo walked into the house with one of his basketball players behind him. Cleo was a Crenshaw High School basketball and football coach and a business owner. He also owned his own little league football team for kids in Compton. Brooklyn was an eleventh grade math teacher at Crenshaw and a counselor at a local women's shelter.

"Hey, babe." Cleo said as he approached his wife.

Brooklyn smiled and kissed his lips. "Hey, baby." She looked at the fifteen year old boy who sat down at her kitchen table. "Can't speak, Teddy?"

Theodore sighed. "I'm sorry, Mrs. James. How are you?"

"I'm good." Brooklyn replied. "Your step father is giving you trouble again?"

Theodore just nodded. "My mom asked Coach if I could stay here for a little bit until things cool off."

"If that's okay with you, baby." Cleo said quickly.

Brooklyn chuckled. "It's fine. I love Teddy."

Theodore smiled. Brooklyn and Cleo treated him like he was their own and most of the time, he wished they were his parents. The James family were his family. He looked at Nicole and Nigel as if they were his younger siblings.