Epilogue

Epilogue

{K.M}

3 Days Later

When the full moon passed and the cure was found, Klaus ran home, not even sparing a second glance to Tyler and Caroline, who'd been watching him during his capture. He ran as fast as he could to make it to Dakota's. He pushed through the front door that was still unlocked.

He burst through her bedroom door, where she laid, body weak and eyes drooping shut. Her head turned at the sound of the door connecting with the wall, and a small smile turned up on her face. "There you are," Her voice was weak and scratchy, a sound that didn't sound right in Klaus' ears. "—I was starting to think you forgot about me."

Klaus sat up in the bed beside her, pulling her into his arms gently, holding her cold body to his own. Salty tears dripped down his face, and his fingers combed through her hair, taking out the knots. Dakota hummed at the feeling, her eyes closing peacefully.

"I love you so much."

A loud sob passed Klaus' lips, recognizing the good-bye in her words. "I love you more, sweetheart."

Dakota's bottom lip trembled into a smile. "Promise me something?"

"Anything."

"Don't tell them I was scared," She begged. "—I was a badass vampire and nobody can know I was scared, okay?"

   Klaus tried to smile at her ridiculous request, she was dying and all she cared about was her dignity. Not the pain, and not where she would go after. "Nobody will know, it can be our secret, yeah?" It all felt like a dream, this wasn't supposed to happen so quickly, they were supposed to live the rest of their lives together, living like they were just born and not centuries of years old. "Do you trust me?"

"With my life."

Klaus bent down to press a kiss to her forehead, squeezing his eyes shut and willing the image into her head.

They both were in New Orleans, both healthy. Dakota was admiring the lights, the music and soul that radiated out of this town. The place where she belonged, where she could be free without a care.

Klaus stood back at she smiled brightly, closing her eyes and letting it all sink in. While her eyes were shut, he frowned, the pain in his heart growing worse when the image fizzled out.

When his eyes opened again, hers didn't. Dakota's skin was grey, her veins protruding against the ashen color. Sobs racked his body, and he pulled her close to him, trying to put some of his essence into her body just through their closeness. He tried willing just a little bit of his shattered soul into hers, but it didn't work.

Everything hurt, his chest was tight, barely allowing any oxygen to pass through and do its job. His stomach was strung out with guilt, if he had just ignored what Dakota said that night, he would've had more time with her, he would've spent all three days finding some way to keep her alive just a bit longer. Now all he could do was cry, just let the tears fall down his face, begging that he could take back every second he hadn't spent with Dakota.

"I love you so much."

Although he couldn't see or feel it, with the aid of the other side that fell over Mystic Falls, trapping the dead supernatural from passing on, Dakota's hand rested on his shoulder, a tear falling down her face as she saw his form crying over her. "I love you more."