Chapter 11 - Bonding 2

Hannah's POV

It was later in the evening and I was working on some assignments from school. Music was streaming through my headphones and I was tuning out the world around me. Meanwhile, Derek was sleeping in his bed. At least I assumed that was what he was doing. When he had left about an earlier he had said something about being tired. 

I wasn't in a hurry to get home, not when I wasn't planning on doing so until the next day. Derek had almost died and I wasn't confident in his ability to keep himself alive for a night. A lot of things could happen and I would sleep better knowing what was going on. Mr. Argent wasn't expecting me either since I had called him. Of course I hadn't told him the truth about where I was staying. He probably wouldn't have approved of me staying at Derek's so I had simply told him that I was staying at my new friend "Demi's" house. Complete horse-shit, but Chris bought it. 

Without really putting my mind to it, I started to hum the song that was currently playing. My playlist was at the sad broody songs and I was totally into it. Even though I stopped myself from bursting into song I wasn't just going to sit there quietly. I didn't think it was possible to be passive when there was such emotion in the songs. Nope, totally impossible. 

It didn't take long before I was focusing more on the music in my ears than the assignment in front of me. After just a short while I gave up and put down the pen in my hand. My hand was aching a little after such a long time of writing so I figured I might as well take a break. It wasn't just my hand that was a bit stiff. As I stretched out my arms I could hear popping, the same with my neck and back. 

While still humming along to the music I got out of my seat and started putting away all of my books. Just then I could feel my stomach grumble and it hit me that I hadn't eaten that much that day. It wasn't exactly a weird occurrence that I was hungry. On the contrary, it was strange that I hadn't gotten hungry much sooner. 

Sadly, as I looked in the fridge I discovered that there wasn't much to work. The pantries in the kitchen weren't much better. It wasn't like I felt like eating pasta without any sauce or condiments. Yeah, if I wanted food I would have to go and get some... or maybe...

"I thought I heard a cat dying." I was brought out of my thoughts by Derek's groggy voice coming from behind me. I quickly spun around and met his eyes with a cold glare. While I took out the headphones and turned off the music I pursed my lips slightly. 

"I was going to suggest pizza, but you can starve." It was hard saying the words without laughing. I wasn't actually hurt by Derek's words, it wasn't like I didn't already know that I couldn't sing. However, I would never let Derek's teasing go by without some of my own. 

"You know that this is my loft and that I can order my own pizza, right?" Derek even smirked down at me. 

"You do that with your non-existing phone." I had the biggest shit-eating grin on my face as I could see how the realization dawned on Derek. Something had happened during the fight and his phone was no more. Not only was the screen cracked, but it looked completely mushed. 

"Okay, fine! You sing like an angel, can we order food now?" Derek sounded more impatient than sincere and I realized that I had the upper hand. He was hungry and he knew damn well that there was nothing appetizing in his fridge.

"Oh, I don't know. I'm really not that hungry anymore. I just feel so full from the pancakes we ate earlier. I'm probably just going to skip it", I teased and this time I couldn't hold back a laugh as Derek looked at me with murder in his eyes. The laugh, however, only lasted a second before it was replaced by a yelp when Derek pounced. 

"Hey! That's my phone! Stop!", I yelled out as I jumped out of the way and started to move towards the other side of the kitchen. Derek was reaching for the hand where I still held my phone but I was pretty quick. It was probably safe to say that I wouldn't have been as good at avoiding him if he hadn't been injured. Speaking of that injury, Derek suddenly hissed and grabbed at his side.