Can't Stand Losing You

RECAP:

Was that where he was? With Nikki and her babies? Doesn't he love me anymore? Does he love her?

"Whose this?" He asks, turning to face me.

It's then I realise my heads down, my short hair covering my face. I take a deep breath.  I will not let him get to me. I raise my head. "Hi there, Chase." I say lightly.

"Emma?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took a deep breath, forcing myself to smile at him as best I could. "Hi."

He just stared, his mouth slightly hanging open. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Adam and Logan join Rose and Aria, who were watching us warily. Adam stepped forwards, like he was going to come and get me away from Chase, but Rose grabbed his arm, shaking her head slightly.

Chase shook his head slightly. "You..um, cut your hair."

I nodded, pulling at one of the strands lightly as they hung around my shoulders. "Yeah. Needed a change." I whispered.

Chase moved the child, Kylie, to his other hip as he looked everywhere but at me. "What are you doing here?"

I smiled, jerking my head at Aria and Rose. "Sky. She had her baby, like an hour ago."

Chase smiled slightly, like he used to do when I walked through the door every afternoon after work. "It was a boy, wasn't it? Just like I predicted!"

I nod, remembering the conversation one morning before he'd gone into the Shop to work for a few hours. "Yep, you were right."

We both laugh slightly, before trailing off, remembering our fight, the one that got us to here. "Em, do you think I -um, we could talk for a moment?" He asked, his voice pleading. "Alone?"

I glanced around the room, my eyes lingering on the white Stalk painted on the wall. I looked at Aria and Rose. Aria was frowning, arms over her chest, like she was picturing kicking Chase in the balls. Rose on the other hand was smiling sadly, lightly motioning me to go with Chase and talk. She was such a sap.

I exhaled loudly, running my hands through my brown hair. "Yeah, okay."

Chase smiled happily, turning to face Nicole and holding out the younger of the twins to her. She huffed angrily, taking the child from Chase. "I'll see you in the canteen in fifteen minutes." She said harshly, her gaze burning holes into Chase's forehead.

"Nik, I need to-,"

"Fifteen! Thats all I'm allowing."

I scoffed, holding back the urge to punch her in the face. Again.

Not in front of the children, not in front of the children... I chanted to myself, my fists clenching by my side.

Chase rolled his eyes, noting my hands, before nodding slightly at Nikki. Nikki smiled like she'd won a prize. Shooting me an icy glare she turned on her heel, walking away, past Aria and Rose.

"If she sways her arse anymore, she gonna break a hip." I muttered spitfully under my breath.

Chase coughed, a huge grin spreading across his face as he held back a laugh. "Ok, come on." He chuckled lightly, breathing deeply.

I followed him as we walked past room after room, Chase not even glancing in to any of the tiny glass windows. We past paitent after paitent, woman after woman, man after man. When we started to go past the Children's Ward, I turned my eyes to the floor. Ever since I was little, I've never been able to go in there. It made me so sad to think that everyday, little kids were getting diagonsed with Cancer. That they were going to die.