Fear Of Love23

Chapter 23

All Wednesday and Thursday I was constantly looking for Zack wondering if he was going out jump out and pummel us again. That didn’t happen but I still stuck by Bryce’s side pretty much most of the time. I felt like I was using him as a body guard but hey if we were together now, isn’t that what the guy is supposed to do? Protect the girl? And Bryce didn’t seem like he minded either.

I started to get the feeling that I liked Bryce more than just a good friend but I wouldn’t let that happen. I told myself that I couldn’t let myself do what I had done before. I needed to stick to keeping my distance.

I loved being around Bryce, and not for the sole reason he was good looking. He treated me like I mattered and he respected me and my wishes. He never tried to push ahead; he just stayed right next to me. I loved the feeling of not having to constantly protect myself from the person I was supposed to be closest to.

By the time Friday rolled around I wasn’t on the watch for Zack anymore. Honestly I hadn’t seen him since the big blowout in the cafeteria. I had heard rumors about Zack getting busted for the computer job but I wasn’t going to go and let myself believe something I didn’t know for sure.

~

Saturday morning my phone rang while I was in the shower and whoever called left a message.

You have 1 unheard message: New message, Saturday 8:37 A.M *beep*

“Hey, Brandi, uh it’s Bryce. I just found out some information you might want to know about. Meet me at the curve-in at 9 if you can. K um see you later”

End of message, you have no unheard messages…”

What was going on? I thought. What could be so important that he would need to see me right away for it? and why couldn’t he just tell me over the phone.

I looked at the clock, 8:46, I only have 14 minutes to get there. I quickly brushed my teeth and my hair and did my makeup, before throwing on a sweatshirt, grabbing my bag and running out the door. The moment my feet hit the cement driveway I remembered, I had forgotten something; I looked down at my feet, ‘Shoes’ I told myself ‘I’m going to need shoes,’ running back inside I grabbed my tennis and was off again. I ran the first block and a half, worrying about being late and then fast walked the rest of the way.

I arrived at the Curve-In at 8:59 and saw Bryce leaning up against his truck, waiting.

“You made it” Bryce walked over to me

“Yea barely” I laughed

“Um, you hungry?”

“Not really, I’m thirsty though” I said and we walked inside.

“You want a cup of coffee?” Bryce asked as we sat down at our booth

“Sure that would be great” I looked over at the table I had shared with Zack. I shuddered at the memory and turned back to Bryce. He had just ordered us two coffees and was looking at me questioningly. I chose to ignore his look and changed the subject.

“So what information should I know?” I asked, Bryce’s face turned solemn but he answered

“Well, I actually have a couple things to tell you but I’ll just start with what I called you about.” He pause and I urged him to continue “So the reason we haven’t been seeing Zack around school lately is because, uh, he was” Bryce started rubbing his hands together again, I was surprised because he hadn’t done that since the day of the fight.

“He was what?” I had my suspicions but I chose to let him tell me

“He was arrested, for the computer thing. I guess somebody turned him in and he was taken into custody” I gasped “AFTER he confessed”

I was confused “Why would he confess?” I asked

“No idea,” Bryce looked slightly pleased

“What are you so happy about?” I asked laughing at the crooked grin on his face

“Well after questioning, if he’s guilty, he won’t be able to come back here, ever. So I will never be bothered by him again”

“Well me neither” I smiled, seeing why Bryce was so excited.

We talked over a cup of coffee and then Bryce said he wanted to take me somewhere, I got nervous when he wouldn’t tell me where but for some reason I trusted him. So we hopped in his truck and started driving out of town.

“Where are we going?” I asked him for the hundredth time

“I’m not going to tell you” Bryce looked over at me, laughed and shook his head.

We drove out of town for about 45 minutes before we were ‘Almost there’ according to Bryce. We pulled into a park near Stevens Point and Bryce shut off the car.

“Were here,” He got out of the car and came around to open my door

“Thank you” I said hopping out

“You’re welcome, my lady” Bryce did a slight bow and held his hand out, I hesitantly took it and we started walking.