Chapter Two Pt. 1

Chapter two

A couple hours into my shift and J walks in: Hm, that's odd he normally only comes in on a Saturday or Sunday. He scans the crowd and smiles as his eyes land on me. He walks over to the table I have just finished clearing 'Hey J' I say 'Hey baby girl, how are you doing tonight?' he asks with an easygoing smile that would make even a nun weak in the knees. 'You know that doesn't work on me' I say with a chuckle which makes him grin even wider 'so stop trying it, and I'm okay.' I shrug feigning indifference. With those words J straightens to his full height and gets a look I know all too well on his face, well crap, I think me and my big mouth, just couldn't keep it closed could I? 'Just okay?' he asks tersely. Damn me and my big mouth. I can't lie to him he would know, I don't know if it's all vampires that have an nact for knowing if people are lying or not but J sure as hell does so I decided to go for broke and just tell him, 'Yea I just had a weird feeling before I entered here tonight is all' I cringe inwardly waiting for his explosion. Something inside J changes at that moment and I realize the vampire part of him has taken control, his normal green eyes change to a blood red and he looks like he's out for vengence, he takes a deep breath in through his nose and his eyes start to glow; before I know it he's around the table and reaching for me, just before he grabs me a strong arm closes around mine and I'm yanked backwards into what feels like a concrete wall and get the breath knocked out of me then roughly shoved behind what looks to be a man, a really giant of a man. 'stay behind me' he growls, at first I'm so lost in my stupor I don't realize he is talking to me; but as he draws his sword and puts an arm out to keep me securely behind him it dawns on me that it was me he was talking to earlier. With one step he lunges towards J. J easily sidesteps the man, thank heaven for vampire reflexes I think, I notice J is making a move to stand in front of me, the stranger also notices what he is trying and lunges again his sword coming down in a wide arch meant to decapitate J, J barely has time to react as he steps to the left to avoid being killed but didn't have the time to notice that in the other hand the man wielded a deadly looking dagger, the man's hand comes up in an arch from the bottom straight for J's heart. I scream and start to move, I know I will never make it in time but I have to try. The next thing I know I have stepped in front of J and right into the stranger's dagger.  I expect to feel pain from the dagger going through my chest but I don't feel anything, I look down and find that the dagger is indeed embedded in my skin. Huh odd I think; I grasp the hilt of the dagger and pull it; just as it leaves my body I feel a hot blinding agony with a scream I fall to the floor, white searing hot pain drums in my veins as blood gushes out of my chest at an alarming rate. When I think I can't handle the pain anymore it's as if time slows down and the voices around me become muffled like I'm underwater, the pain fades away. I don't feel anything. I don't hear anything. I don't see anything: all around me is just darkness. If someone had told me this is what it would be like to die, I would have told them they had smoked one to many blunts. People say when you die your life flashes before your eyes, but where's my life? Where's my memory's? It's nice for once not having to feel anything; not having to feel everyone's stares at school, or the loss of not having anyone, the thought of knowing that even Aunt Saudi is going to leave me. I close my eyes and welcome the darkness, it begins to wrap itself around my body and my mind shutting it down and pulling me in. Before I'm completely engulfed in the darkness; I hear it, someone telling me to stay with them. That's odd stay with whom? Where am I going? As I listen closer I realize I know that voice, I've laughed and joked with that voice since I was thirteen. I try and put a name to the voice an image flashes in my mind: dark black hair and beautiful green eyes. J! That's J's voice! As the pieces click together I remember being stabbed, the pain, the man, J, falling, blood so much blood. With a start I open my eyes, the searing pain it brings rips a scream from my throat, and tears roll unbidden down my cheeks. I try desperately to get air into my lungs, around the pain, the tears, and the screams. I hear a loud snarl come from somewhere to my right and sense people moving away from me, I feel a small warm hand touch my cheek and the pain eases enough for me to suck in precious lifesaving air into my starved lungs. As my eyes flutter open, they become lost in the bright orange glowing eyes of a small pale male who looks to be around my age, I don't know what it is about the eyes but they seem so achingly familiar. In one lithe movement that betrays his slender form, he picks me up and begins to carry me to the exit. I expect there to be pain as he carries me and sways back and forth but none comes, I relies that he is dulling the pain for me; at that moment I know I am safe with this creature. I close my eyes and as I'm fading I hear a broken voice tell me how deeply sorry they are, I want to respond and ask what they were sorry for and to fix that brokenness inside them but I'm so tired; instead I fall into a dreamless sleep.