Hell's Treasure Chapter 18

Page 142 (4 panels)

Page 142 panel 1

Medium shot. Angle on Aaron, Shaw, and John. Aaron's in the foreground. The three of them are still walking through the carnival, past rides, games, and many carnival-goers. Aaron looks irritated. John looks thoughtful.

Aaron:

Why wouldn't we? If we don't go to Hell, I mean.

John:

Yes, well...

John:

How can I put this gently?

Page 142 panel 2

Middle tier. Wide shot. High angle, tilted left, looking down on the carnival scene from above. Aaron, Shaw, and John are clearly visible at the heart of the crowd. They're surrounded by people, rides, games, and garish lights and signs.

John:

You're already in Hell.

Page 142 panel 3

Middle tier. Wide shot. Aaron, Shaw, and John walk past a freak show along the carnival midway. A bearded lady, a dog-boy, Siamese twins, maybe an elephant man type, are all lined up in front of a big tent. Add a touch of the bizarre and surreal to this moment; make it a little hellishly chilling.

John:

You've lived there your entire life.

John:

Lived here.

Page 142 panel 4

Wide shot. Big half-page panel. John stops in front of the Funhouse and spreads his arms again, but this time, he isn't smiling. It's a typical Funhouse with crazy images on the walls, creature faces bobbing in the windows, and a sign that reads, "Funhouse" on the front.

John:

This is Hell.

Page 143 (6 panels)

Page 143 panel 1

Medium 3-shot. The group has stopped walking and stands on the midway between the Funhouse and the Hall of Mirrors. Aaron has stepped between Shaw and John and is standing close to John, getting in his face. John is keeping his cool, though. Shaw stands back and watches, frowning.

Aaron:

So where's the fire and brimstone? Where's the Devil and demons?

John:

I'm telling you, this is Hell. The opposite of Heaven.

Page 143 panel 2

Closeup on John as he describes Heaven. His expression is kind of wry. He's being sincere, but with a bit of an edge that suggests the dark undercurrent beneath Heaven's surface perfection.

John:

In Heaven, there is no pain or sickness or death. There are no accidents or disasters. No wars.

John:

Nothing but perfect happiness and contentment.