Chapter 3

When I got home I emailed April. Our mums swapped address's so that we could keep in contact but deep down I know it won't last she'll make new friends and I'll be forgotten like a sock with no partner. I told her about Mandy and The Fires Heart (The magic shop). She didn't reply. But I'm kind of glad she didn't. She didn't have to know everything about me it's not that shes my mum or anything.

At school the next day we got our reports mine was awful my tutor has rang home I had gone from a predicted A* to D-.   I know why after April left I was so scared to be clever that I put on a dumb act and covered over my bright side there was no way I was going to be clever alone. Because nerds are targets at my school but before April left she could stick up for me not that anybody would try it on with her any way. Its was bad enough being lonely 24/7 but being bullied as well. It would finish me off.

I was asked to stay behind after school That's when I got nervous I saw my mum walking up to school through the windows everyone looked at me so I pretended to write something and pretend not to notice just to draw attention away from myself. People are so nosy these days.

I decided to sit at the back of the class while my mum spoke to my tutor I felt really awkward like at parents evening, I hate just sitting there knowing that there talking about me. After about 30 minutes they stopped talking my mum said thank you and goodbye and sent me a glare so I nodded my head in acknowledgement. I eagerly walked out of the school gates trying as hard as possible to avoid eye contact with her she was scary at times. I heard her sigh and call my name I reluctantly turned my head and rolled my eyes I knew what was coming; A lecture.

" Naomi, come on whats up Mrs. Davis told me about your grades you've changed so much " she whispered gently.

" Its nothing Mum everyone's grades are dropping it's just the work getting slightly harder " I replied

" Well I can have a word with your teacher if you can't keep up, get you some extra help "

" No it's fine Mum " I shouted firmly. She looked so shocked and confused.

" Whats gotten into you " She replied in a shocked tone. I felt terrible I had never spoken to her like that before she had never looked so hurt before it was going to take a while for her to forgive me.

At 4 o'clock I set of for Mandy's and left a note on my door. I was hoping nobody would notice. The note said

" Gone out won't be long (I've got my phone) I'll be back for tea XOXO"

Grabbing my bag I quickly ran out shutting the door gently. I headed towards The Fire's Heart as I approached the shop I felt all the pressure and worries from life drain away leaving smiles and hope. Then I saw Mandy when she smiled she lit up my world and made me feel as if I was walking on air. She was like my nan.

When I was 12 my nan sadly passed away I never knew my grandad but my nan said he was amazing, I would of loved to meet him. I've only ever seen pictures when he was holding me as a baby. I've kept the picture for years now under my pillow I get it out every night. I really want to tell my mum how upset I get but it just brings back memories of her mum and dad and she gets depressed and angry.

I was greeted by a bright smile and and cautious wave she had told me she was ill yesterday and it wasn't hard to see that she hadn't improved.

"Alright Mandy" (I smiled) "Feeling any better" I asked even though I already knew the answer.

"No improvement *cough* " She managed to whisper.

I ran over to her and asked if she wanted a cup of tea she agreed and we started talking she was so easy to talk to the words just flew out of my mouth we even got onto the subject of my nan and she was so caring and understanding then she started talking about her mum tears swelled up in her eyes but she covered them over with smiles she started to talk about my work experience after no time at all I realised how late it had gotten the time had flew bye. I told her that I'd see her tomorrow and picked up my bag I gave her my mobile number even though I'm not sure she knows how to switch her phone on.

When I got home my mum was waiting she was mad I had been gone for 4 hours and she hadn't seen the note she was minutes away from calling the police.

" Where have you been " She yelled in my face " I was this close to phoning the police " she made a small gesture between her thumb and fore finger.

" I went to see Mandy" I replied sheepishly.

She tutted and shut her eyes giving me the impression that she didn't want to hear excuses. She pointed to the stairs so I quietly left and crept upstairs whispering 'sorry.'

I rolled onto my bed and curled up into a ball, sighing I drifted of to sleep with all that had gone on spinning around in my head. Bed was the only place I could stop and think things through with causing anymore damage; it was my favorite part of the day.