Facing Larissa

Chapter 5

(Facing Larissa)

Rowan looked out at the garden to see his bride sitting alone near the creek that ran through the garden. He was aware the blonde woman was upset. Still he did not regret bringing her. The Gypsy had warned his captain the girl would suffer but she’d also said the girl would be at his side. There had been instant chemistry between them when they came into contact for the first time on Halloween. He could only hope his bride’s anger had not caused it to completely fizzle away.

“You can stay here as long as you like highness but at some point you will have to face her,” Dason told him. Rowan looked at his captain with concerned eyes. “Prolonging your encounter will not help the situation.”

“No, I suppose it will not.” Reluctantly the Prince left the window and slowly made his way out to the stairs that would take him down into the garden. His guards followed discreetly behind.

Slowly the blonde haired prince descended the stone stairs and made his way to the bench where his betrothed sat. As he neared her he noticed how sad even from a distance the girl appeared. Internally he sighed; he really didn’t like hurting her.

“May I join you?” Rowan asked as he reached her.

“Now you’re going to ask for my consent?” Larissa replied with almost glaring eyes. “I’d rather you didn’t.”

“Larissa…”

“No! Stay away from me!” She snapped. Rising to her feet she started to walk away.

Instantly the prince grabbed her arm forcing the new fae to stop her retreat. “We need to talk.” He said when the girl, while stopped, refused to turn and look at him.

“Let go,” Larissa said forcing herself to be calm.

“No.” Rowan’s voice was calm but firm. He watched as the curly haired blonde turned to face him with narrowed angry green eyes. “We need to talk and you will…” His words died as the new Fae woman slapped him hard across the face.

“Don’t you dare demand anything from me!” She yelled. “You stole my humanity and kidnapped me! You took me from my world and from people I love and care about! I don’t owe you anything!” Tears began to stream down her face as her sadness overwhelmed her.

The prince’s guards were more than shocked to see the girl hit the prince. Violet and Nina were just as shocked. All of them started toward the couple expecting the worst only to stop as they watched their prince pull the girl into his arms and embrace her.

Dason was beyond shocked. Not only had his prince not struck back at the girl but the heir to Rosina was genuinely trying to comfort the woman he’d stolen. There was no retaliation for the woman striking him at all.The Captain had never seen Prince Rowan so gentle with anyone.

Rowan held his bride close for a few moments. The strike to his face hurt but he couldn’t fault her. Larissa was in pain and he was the cause of it. If it had been anyone else he’d have struck back and then sent them to the dungeons. If anyone ever had or ever would have the right to strike him it was the blonde woman he was trying to comfort in his arms.

Gently he picked her up bridal style and walking the few feet to the bench sat down cradling her in his arms. Rowan held her close as she cried. He rubbed her hair and back soothingly. After several minutes and several Kleenex she became silent.

“Why?” She asked quietly.

“Why what?” Rowan asked. The prince wasn’t entirely sure what he was being asked. Did she want to know why he was comforting her or why he had taken her?