You've been cheating and telling me lies

I've been stuck in doors for days. I was planning on telling Mike how mad I was at him for cheating and lying. I hated him at this precise moment in time.

But I came down with an illness. I was sick and I couldn't even lay in bed awake without feeling like I was going to die.

Everyone kept telling me how pale and sweaty I looked. I wish they wouldn't say anything at all about it. It just makes me feel worse.

...

"Ari, how are you?" Michael walked in holding a tray with a bowl and cup on it.

I didn't say anything as he placed it on the side next to me. He sat down on the bed and picked up a thermometer.

"Open." I did as he said as he placed the thermometer in my mouth. "I'm sorry, as you can't talk right now it's best I get this out the way. Me and Gina went through a rough patch a few days ago. We broke up pretty much, I slept with the other girl to get over her. I wanted to prove that I still loved. That I had feelings, that I wasn't numb. It wasn't a success. I didn't feel anything for anyone but Gina." He took a deep breath. "The thing is, Gina has bipolar disorder. She's been struggling for a while now and it's hard for her to come to terms with the fact that she might not be okay. She has funny turns and it's hard to deal with. I know - I know you have depression and she knows to which is why she said you have loads in common."

For once I felt bad for him. He had to deal with Gina all alone and he still loved her for her. He didn't mind that she wasn't well, that she'd never be completely well. But he didn't mind, he still loved her.

My thermometer bleeped signalling it was done, Mike pulled it out my mouth and looked at it.

"It's still running high but it's lower than yesterday so no need to panic." He smiled.

"What did you argue about?" I asked feebly.

"Uh," he took a long pause before speaking again. "It was a stupid reason to be honest. She hadn't been taking her meds and I told her that if she didn't take them we'd end. I kept that promise and she said some things that hurt. They hurt like fuck and I wanted pay her back as well."

"D - does she know?"

"No. I think it's best it stays that way. She's ill Ari. She can't help what runs through her head and this won't help. I'll tell her one day of course, but it'd be just in the past and we'd overcome it."

"How did you really meet Michael?"

He looked at me shocked. He said she was ill. She has bipolar. She wouldn't go to a waterpark when she was off her meds which I'm guessing was when they met as I knew it happened before judging by what he said.

"We - we met a rehab." He looked down. "I was addicted to ecstasy and she was taking some other drug instead of her own ones that she shouldn't have been taking. We met and became friends and things procrastinated." He looked at me.

I wasn't mad. He did drugs, I drank and smoked. He met a messed up girl, I became one. Me and Gina are really alike. Much more than I'd ever assume.

"That's fine Mike. I wish you didn't lie to me." I smiled weakly.

"I could say the same for you." He laughed. "I know you and dad didn't fall out just because of this depression thing. There's more to it." His eyes burned into mine.

He was wrong. There is nothing more that I know of anyway. But who knows what went through my dads mind.

"Was there a boy?" He asked me. "Did someone hurt you?"

"No." I shook my head.

"You smoked right? Did you get in trouble. Do you do pot?"

"I smoke normal cigarettes okay? I drank. I stayed out late. But then I got better and became, well, this."

For some reason, Michael wasn't fussed. Instead he pulled out his laptop and put on Netflix. He told me to type in something and I chose Pretty Little Liars. Brother and sister time, that's all I've wished for for a while now.

...

I was feeling a bit better. I managed to adventure down to the kitchen and look for some ice for my head. I was still running a high temperature and I was still throwing up occasionally.

Mom took me out of school for this week to see if I get any better. I'll be back next week even if I'm not up for it. I can't miss more lessons than I already I have.

"Ari? Why are you up?"

I stood up from looking in the tray for ice as I saw Ashton standing by the side holding some medicine.

"I'm looking for ice. Are you ill too?" I pointed to the bag.

"No there yours." He smiled. "Mike said how ill you were so I said I'd help. I brought you some homework too." He held a folder out to me.

"Thanks." I laughed taking the folder. "Can you help me find some ice?" I practically begged.

"Yeah, of course."

He went outside and then came back holding ice and a flannel around it.

"Go lay on the sofa." He pointed to the couch.

I walked over and did as he said with no arguments. I closed my eyes as Ashton moved the side table closer to me. He sat down and put the flannel on my head. I smiled and began feeling the heat slowly fade away.

"I've decided not to tell Gina about Mike cheating. He's had a rough time with her." I mumbled.

"He told you about her bipolar?" He asked shocked.

"Yeah, I feel bad that he's been all alone. It's not fair on him."

"Yeah, Gina's parents are shit. They take her to appointments and that but they don't take care of her at home. They don't force her to take her meds. They nearly sent her away to a boarding school because she was to much for them. She's had to change to make them happy and they're struggling? I hate Mr and Mrs Columns."

"Does she stay here much?"

"Oh yeah, she practically lives here. Just, last week she had to stay at Susan's, her aunt, who also has a mental illness."

"Oh, I hope she likes me. When we met, I wasn't really nice."

"She'll love you just like everyone else does." He promised. "Besides, it's Gina, she'll get over it. She gets over everything."

"She sounds really nice. Not like Larissa or Dorrit." I laughed.

"Now shush. Get better and then we can talk about your brothers girlfriends life as much as you like over icecream and pizza."

"Sorry, I'll zip it." I smiled zipping my lips closed.