Chapter 10: Imbecile

Hi, Reapers!!! 

Sorry this chapter is a little short! I have SO many awesome ideas for this book, but getting to those ideas has been a little bit difficult these past couple of weeks with finals and college stuff. I'm hoping your feedback will motivate me to write a longer chapter for the next update!! ;)))))

* * *

"I think we should listen to Ace," I told Death, as he began to punch in the password into my room with a commanding force. When he didn't acknowledge me, I added louder, "I think Ace was telling the truth."

The password went through and Death opened the door. He paused and stared into the room, as if there was something in the dark that had caught his interest. Then turned his head to stare down at me, features cold, sharp, and impenetrable. "I think you're foolish, then. Never trust a man who doesn't like cats."

"And why's that?"

"Dogs tend to their owners commands. Cats bow down to no one. Make your own conclusion from that." Death nodded towards the room. "Get in."

"Not until we talk about this."

"And which this would that be?"

I crossed my arms over my chest, as he looked at me with glaring eyes. "I want answers, Death."

"It's B," he said. "And if you really don't believe my answer, then C is a solid choice."

"That's not funny." It was kind of funny. "I want to know what you're going to do next. You can't just hold me prisoner in that Ikea bedroom display set and take me out to play with whenever you want. I know you don't want me to hate you."

He let my bedroom door close. "What makes you think I would care if you hated me?"

"Because you care about a lot of things more than you let on."

Death stared at me for an odd moment, before flashing a thousand watt smile, fangs and all. "Is that so, cupcake?"

"You know he was telling the truth," I pressed on. "We both were in the vision. If we don't go together, couldn't that affect the outcome of what happens?"

Death's jaw tightened. "Neither of us knows the outcome–"

"But we both know what would be the ideal one."

I imagined if I'd been wrong, Death would have thrown his head back and laughed in my face. But he hadn't. He just grinned like the gorgeous black-haired predator he was, and let that grin fall as his gaze slid over my body. I could feel him seep through my baggy clothes and drench every inch of my skin.

"Frankly, cupcake, you're not prepared for what's beyond the portal," he said in a rougher voice, flicking that wicked gaze back up to my face. "You're soft and...nice." He made 'nice' sound like a dirt sandwich on a piece of wet cardboard. "I can't take you with me."

"Why can't you prepare me?" I asked, feeling as though I was a whiny child.

"There's not enough time to."

"I'll make time, Death."

"We don't have time, princess," he snapped. "I would need to properly teach you how to defend yourself and better control the light shit that you do with your hands."

"Doubting your own capabilities are we?"

His mouth opened, closed, and then opened again. "Of course not," he hissed out through tight fangs.

"Then teach me," I dared him.

For a heartbeat, Death actually seemed to consider saying yes, but then he tore his gaze away from me with a growl. His big leather-clad body stalked right past me.

My voice stopped him. "I want to know where we begin."

Death slowly turned back around, gloved hands tightening into fists. "You can't begin anywhere with someone who ends, Faith."

"Then meet me halfway," I said and took a step towards him. "I'm not the same naive suburban girl I was before I met you. And I'm definitely not a child; so don't treat me like I'm your responsibility. You made me aware of the dangers and the creatures in this world. I'm asking you not to leave me defenseless to them."

We stared at each other for a long time.

"I'm not leaving you defenseless," Death finally said and crossed arms over chest, stretching his leather jacket. He looked off to the side, as if he was battling with himself whether to say the next part, and his nostrils flared a little. "I'm protecting you from what might be inevitable once I find Ahrimad."

I crossed my arms over my chest, mirroring his position. An odd sensation fluttered in my stomach, and I tried to suppress it. "What exactly is inevitable?" I asked.

Death just stared at me, silent like a killer dressed in night. Whatever it was, he clearly wasn't going to tell me.

"Are you going to make a huge fuss out of this?" he asked.

"Yes, yes I am."

"Alright, then." Death pushed up the sleeve of his leather and sweatshirt jacket to check a Versace watch around his wrist. My eyes drew to the black markings on his skin there. When he looked up at me, there was a glint of mischief in his mismatched eyes. "I'll be back to pick you up."

I frowned. Had he really given in that easily? "And go where?" I asked.

"It's a surprise." He flashed me a lopsided grin that made him almost look friendly. Then he came forward and managed to trap me as he normally did and stalked around me. "If you're going to prove to me that you can come with to stop Ahrimad, then you're going to have to start getting used to surprises, cupcake."

 "Fine," I said.

He kept walking those circles around me. And he grinned as he passed my front. "Aren't you going to ask me where I'm going?"

I crossed my arms over my chest, tracking him as he continued to walk around me, his scent a toxic craving in the air. "You're going to feed because you need the extra duplicate of yourself," I guessed. "And some of your meals might not be ready to die. Because that's just the kind of man you are."

"True." He walked another slow circle around me. I could hear him making a low noise in his throat. "However, once again, man would imply that I'm human, cupcake. I'm my own species. I'm a lone ranger.  I'm a dashing undead sex muffin who is nicely hung and enjoys long romantic walks to the crematorium."

"You can leave now."

He laughed lowly, and then paused his circling at a spot behind me. The hair at the back of my neck lifted as he leaned into my ear. "I'll think of you when I feed," he whispered and lightly dragged his gloved hand down my arm. I'd never been so painfully aware of someone's touch as I was when Death touched me.

I held back an odd shiver. When I turned back, all that was left of him was the mist of black from which we came.

What the hell was that?

I looked down both ends of the modern, too-clean hallway, and sighed.

"Happy Birthday to me," I muttered.

I plugged I-M-B-E-C-I-L-E into the padlock, let the door lock behind me, and face planted into my new bed. 

* * *

What's everyone's favorite characterization/detail of Death?

Don't forget to pretty please leave some feedback and vote for the chapter if you want more! ;)

* * *

Sorry this chapter is a little short! I have SO many awesome ideas for this book, but getting to those ideas has been a little bit difficult these past couple of weeks with finals and college stuff. I'm hoping your feedback will motivate me to write a longer chapter for the next update!! ;)))))

xoxo
Gossip D

Follow me on Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat! @katrocks247 for all! ;)