Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The weekend passed by quickly because all I could think about was school. I'm not the kind of person that could just walk up to a complete stranger and just start talking to them. It's one of the main reasons I was nervous about moving. It was already hard enough making friends back home and now I have to start all over again.

I sat down at the kitchen table and grabbed an apple from the bowl in front of me. Mom stood unpacking some dishes humming under her breath and Audrey was texting under the table with one of her friends from home.

"So, "Mom started breaking the silence, "are you girls excited for your first day of school? "

Audrey grunted and I just shrugged. The awkward silence came back as we all just looked around the room avoiding each other's gazes.

David came down stairs in his suit for work. He was a doctor and his boss from back home pulled some strings to get him a job at the hospital. "Good morning ladies. "He said kissing mom on the cheek.

"Good morning! "Mom said smiling brightly.

"Morning David. "Audrey and I said at the same time in monotone.

"Now girls, "David said turning to pour himself some coffee. He turned back around and smiled at us, "How many times have I told you two to call me dad? "

We glanced at each other and I said, "Who's driving us? "

David didn't seem to notice the change of subject and said, "Your mother. I need to get to work. "

He kissed mom quickly on the lips and ran out the door.

"You should go get ready unless you want to be late. "Mom said. We nodded and ran to our rooms. I let my hair out of its messy bun and left it wavy because of the lack of  time I had to straighten it. I threw on a blue sweater, black jeans, and converse. I really didn't expect it to be this cold and rainy so I didn't have that much to work with. I only applied eye liner and mascara; I don't really like make up but thought it would be nice for the first day. I grabbed my bag and ran back down stairs where Audrey was waiting in leggings, an off the shoulder white sweater and army jacket. Her hair was in a sock bun and she looked gorgeous.

That's the difference between Audrey and I. She has black hair, flawless tan skin and brown eyes. She's the exotic, gorgeous one that all boys want on sight. She's also very outgoing and loud so she fits in everywhere. Unlike me with my shy personality and boring dirty blonde hair, blue eyes and freckled skin.Sometimes I honestly wonder if one of us was adopted.

"Finally! "She groaned. "You took forever up there. "

She stomped out the door not bothering to wait for my response. I sighed and grabbed my hat and scarf. I sprinted to the car and jumped in.

It only took about ten minutes to reach the school parking lot and I could feel my stomach twisting as I watched teens everywhere hanging around the front doors or their cars.  Mom dropped us off near the main doors with a "good luck. Make some friends. "

I turned to Audrey who was looking around the parking lot with interest. Most likely looking for cute boys. "So do you have your schedule? "I asked. She rolled her eyes and held up the crumpled paper. I nodded.

"Look Audrey, "I started. "I know you don't want to be here but can you please just try to act like your happy for mom's sake. It-"

"Whoa. "Audrey whispered looking right behind me. I sighed and turned around to see what caught her attention. Two cars sat in the parking spots closest to the school and a group of people stood talking around them. The boys were all big, muscular and very attractive.  One boy stood out to me in particular. He was so good looking, easily the most attractive of the group, and had a mischievous smirk on his face when a girl placed a hand on his arm. I felt the urge to walk over there and rip her arm off him but stopped myself.

The bell rang snapping me out of the daze and I shook my head. I grabbed Audrey's arm and dragged her inside the school. "We'll meet during lunch, okay? "I said once we reached her classroom.

"Sure. Whatever. "She said and went in her classroom already catching a lot of boy's attention. She makes it look so easy. I looked at my schedule to find my classroom.

First period History room 202.

I finally found it way after the bell rang. I opened the door with a loud CREAK. I mentally cringed as the teacher stopped talking and everyone turned to stare at me. "Ah, the new student I'm guessing. "The teacher stated with a friendly smile. I nodded and closed the still open door behind me. "I'm Mrs. Rowlan but you can call me Mrs. R. And you are? "

"Bethany Reynolds. But I prefer Beth. "I said quietly.

"Welcome to La Push Beth. "Mrs. R said. "Take a seat next to Jacob in the back. Jacob please raise your hand. "

I was thankful that she didn't make me say anything about myself to the whole class. Public speaking is definitely not my cup of tea.  I turned to look for this Jacob person and found one of the beefed up guys from the parking lot. I quickly made my way down the aisle ignoring the curious stares and slunk down in my seat.

"Okay, back to our topic-"She started her lecture but I tuned her out and stared down at my notebook. Why were they still staring? I anxiously wrung my fingers together under my desk and tapped my foot. I glanced to my right and found the kid Jacob blatantly staring at me. My instinct was to glance away but I held his gaze. I couldn't help but notice how attractive he was, not as cute as the other guy but definitely good looking. His hair was short and slightly spiked in the front. He had these unnerving brown eyes that I didn't mind staring into one bit and copper skin. After a few minutes of staring he finally looked away and only looked back one more time to give me a small, amused smile.

The rest of the period went on without any more staring and I even answered a question correctly. The bell rang and all the kids in my class practically ran each other over to get out the door. I got all my stuff together and slowly walked out of the room. I pulled out my schedule and skimmed the page for second period.

English room 110

"Beth! "I heard behind me. I spun around on my heel finding Jacob running towards me. I noticed how quiet the hall suddenly seemed and peered around. Everyone was staring at me funny. What is up with this town and staring?

I waited for him to stop in front of me and said, "Hi. "

He smiled at me and ran a hand through his short, black hair. "Hi, I just wanted to formally introduce myself. I'm Jacob Black but you can call me Jake. "

"Nice to meet you, Jake." I said and laughed as we shook hands.

"So do you need help finding your next class. "He asked shoving his hands in the front pockets of his jeans. I nodded and handed him my schedule. He ran his eyes quickly over it and his smile widened, "Looks like we have almost all our classes together except Chemistry and Spanish. "

I sighed relieved that I wouldn't be totally alone today. We walked to English together laughing and talking. When we made it to the classroom Jake stopped outside and said, "I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship. "

I couldn't wipe the grin off my face all period. Maybe this town won't be so bad.