Falling for the hothead (Paul Lahote)

Chapter 1

Moving. That was the huge surprise my mom decided to spring on my younger sister Audrey and me. Apparently my stepfather, David, has family where we're going and wants to be closer to them. Well, we have family in Ireland you don't see my mom shipping us off there, do you? After a long temper tantrum from Audrey about leaving her friends and how Billy Sherlock was just about to ask her out, it was settled. We were officially leaving my hometown in South Carolina for La Push, Washington.

So here I am pulling into a small broken house. Its color looked like it was once a bright blue but is now a dull gray. The shutters on the windows are broken and the perimeter of the building was covered in weeds.

"Home sweet home. "I murmured under my breath. I slowly got out of the car and stretched my aching body. First the long plane ride and then we were thrown right back into the car for another hour. Just to reach the middle of nowhere. I grabbed my bags and slowly made my way up the driveway towards the shack house.    

"I can't believe mom is actually making us stay here. "Audrey said from beside me. Her nose wrinkled in disgust as she stared.

"It might not be so bad, "I tried but Audrey just snorted and walked ahead of me, "or not. "  

Audrey hasn't taken this move very well. She didn't pack her clothes until last night when I told her I would burn it all and she would be stuck having to wear my clothes in Washington.  

My mom came up behind me holding a cardboard box with Kitchen Supplies written in sharpie across it.  "Isn't this great, honey. "She said staring at the house with a huge grin stretched across her face.

I pulled my lips back into a fake smile and said, "Sure, mom. "

She squeezed my shoulder and went inside the house. I trudged behind her and glanced around. The walls were a simple white and the floor was covered in a tan rug. I didn't bother running to find the better room, it was probably too late by now. Besides Audrey is going to be stuck living here longer then me so she might as well have the bigger room. You see I'm starting junior year Monday while Audrey's only a sophomore. 

I walked down the hallway where I assumed the rooms would be. The closest one on the right was closed but when I reached for the doorknob my hand was slapped away. I looked to my side to find Audrey standing there with her arms crossed across her chest.

"Nuh uh, this is my room. "She said.

"Whatever. No need to hit me about it. "I said rubbing my hand in mock hurt. She rolled her eyes and ignored me as she opened her door and slammed it behind her. "Kids these days. "I said under my breath. 

I soon found a room across the hall and I collapsed on the bed immediately. It was bland and boring but at least it was clean. I stared up at the ceiling with my hands lying on my stomach haphazardly.  I yawned and my eyes fluttered shut as I was pulled into a deep sleep.