Street Rat

You tell me to get a life and pick myself up off the street corner. Has it ever dawned on you that I have nowhere to go? No family to go home to. No house to call home. My address is the sidewalk. My house is my blanket. My family are the snowflakes and the earth is my bed.

You tell me to take a bath and clean myself up. Well, while you're bathing in a hot shower and indulging in the sweet perfume of your conditions, I bathe in the cold drops of rain from under the cellar and scrub with the grime and rust of false fantasy.

You give me a Dunkin' muffin instead of money because you're afraid I'll shoot up later and only ask for more. Little do you know a dollar doesn't buy dope and your muffin isn't going to buy my shoes for the winter.

You tell me to get a job and make something of myself. But when you give me food and not money, then I don't get shoes. And if i don't get shoes then I don't get to walk into an interview. Even if you did give me money, your green won't get my clean. Who will hire the street rat with no shoes and no experience?

You tell me to stop begging and put down my sign. Have you ever stopped to wonder that it's all I have left? They won't take me in the shelters because I have diseases. They won't take me into their homes because apparently I'm a thief. They won't give me a break because my face is dirty and my teeth aren't all there.

The mysterious "they" is who I have to blame. They didn't love me. They won't help me. They don't care if I live or die. I couldn't give "them" a name so in return they took mine. I'm the sewer bum. The home-less. The name-less.

-------

I had to write this for theater class. 

-m