Cupid's Arrow

The wood of my arrow rest against my cheek as I pointed my bow at my next victim. A beautiful young girl named Sarah. Even though I've done this a thousand times, I still get butterflies in my stomach. I've never lost that rush I get when I shoot at my prey. It really gets the adrenalin going. Knowing that I'm changing the course of a mortals life always gets me excited. My heart starts to race faster as I see her walking hand and hand with Will; a boy whom she's been in love with forever. She was desired by all the boys in her high school school.

Sarah is the definition of a good girl. She's an excellent student who has won more scholarships then Merrill Streep has won Oscars. She is friendly, kind, helpful, compassionate and modest. She walks and talks like a Disney princess. If she could, she would sing with the animals in a meadow of beautiful flowers, waiting for her prince charming to come and take her away. She was a prude who at seventeen never had a boyfriend. She doesn't go out to parties or drink. She's stays home and reads The Great Gatsby or watches romantic comedies on Netflix.

Will, however, is not exactly prince charming. Sure he's a little rough around the edges and will probably end up breaking little Sarah's heart after her lays her. But, in order for my young flower to blossom I must first give her heartbreak and "despair" in order for her to understand life and the struggle and joy that comes with it. She needs to be educated and brought into the world. Will is sure to show her a good time. Even if it's only for a few months.

I set my eyes on Sarah. The pair are walking in the park. The sky is lit was an abundance of stars tonight and the city seems to be at peace. The occasional cars racing on the highway is the background music to their romantic evening of talking about their future. Sarah is completely ecstatic and trilled to be walking and talking about their feelings. Will on the other hand has his mind on other things; like that mini skirt that raps around Sarah just right. Oh, how he wished he could just lead her back to his car and take her in the back seat; his usual spot for girls.

I, of course, can't be seen. I'm the guardian of love; Cupid if you will. I wasn't always Cupid. I once was mortal with a wife and a family of my own. I remember none of it though. I don't particularity want to. I'm happy with my afterlife now. If the Great One calls me to go back to being mortal, I have to follow orders, but for now I enjoy bringing love to the world.

Its almost time to release my arrow. My palms begin to sweat as is close one eye and focus on Sarah. Once they stop moving, then I'll strike.

But just then, something catches my eye. Up in the trees a see a figure. It's too big to be a squirrel and too high up to be human. The creature moves swiftly in the branches. In the darkness I can see yellow eyes peering at my Sarah and her Will. What could it be?

Then it hits me. It's Sayleen.

Sayleen is the mistress of evil and hatred. She lives among the guardians but not in Jaeneria, the land of light, where the creatures of good live. No, the mistress of evil lives in the shadow world of Deleriana with the other creatures of darkness. Jaeneria and Deleriana are in a constant war for power. The creatures of the shadow world try to corrupt this world with wrong and darkness while the guardians in the land of light try to keep the peace and love in the world. Whenever one side gets too powerful, the Great One steps in and assists the other side, whether its of evil or of good. One world cannot exist without the other. Everything can't be all good and everything can't be all bad. There always has the be a perfect balance. That's why we can never truly defeat Saylee and her creatures of the night. We need her as much as she needs us.

I see Sayleen and her yellow eyes slither out of the cover of the branches to reveal her face. Her skin is albino with velvet red hair flowing down her back. Her yellow eyes resemble a tiger and her mouth was of a serpent. Her teeth are pointed like a shark and her fingers are long and pointy like cactus spikes. Her body is covered in a black silk dress and there is always a cloud of dark mist where she walks. In a crowd of a million she would be recognized easily. But to the mortal eye, she is invisible; like me.