Lesson 10: Pick Up The Phone- Not

“Wh-Why is he here?”

       “I thought he got expelled from school!”

       “That was just a rumor… I think.”

       His lips rose in a small smirk as his eyes rolled at the whispers around him. He continued his stride down the school’s sidewalk, one hand in his pocket and the other gripping his backpack strap, towards his “friends” that surrounded the wall beside the front entrance. He bit his lower lip once he gained their attentions.

       “Hey, Mick!” greeted Joshua first, raising a cigarette to his lips, before everyone else chortled in greetings.

       He just acknowledged them all with a nod, except for Joshua, who received an actual greeting. He made his way beside his friend, resting his back against the wall and snatching the cigarette from Joshua’s fingertips, ignoring the protests. His amber eyes stared off into the distance and his mind blanked out from the conversations going on between friends.

       Ah, this was it! Mickey was finally in high school– He was finally a high schooler, not a middle schooler or elementary schooler. And even though being a freshman isn’t exactly the funnest to be in the high school, he didn’t mind. Everyone already feared him, even the upperclassmen. It was because of the countless deeds he pulled throughout his years, most of them aiming for the upperclassmen that thought they were more superior than him. Ha. Who’s superior now? he taunted in his thoughts as he pulled the cigarette from his lips, releasing the toxic fumes. He watched all familiar faces pass and go, most sending fearful looks in his direction.

       But there was one face… one face that didn’t show any fear– Actually, that face wasn’t even looking in his direction as it idly chatted.

       His lips shifted from a smirk into a small, microscopic smile. That face is the only thing that could make him smile like a wild man. That face is the only thing that could make him give a genuine smile. He shifted his gaze away once he saw that face– those eyes– look over at him. They shifted back to the face once the coast was clear and that face wasn’t looking at him anymore.

       The things he would do… to get that face in his hands and kiss the living hell out of it. To wrap his arms around that beautiful body. To run his fingers through those locks of hair. To claim her as his.

       Anger washed over his body when he saw that walking up to her. That wrapping his disgusting arms around her. That captivating her lips. That pulling away and whispering sweet nothings to her, making her face redden and her eyes look away shyly. If only that was him instead.

       “Hey, Mickey?”

       Mickey’s eyes pulled away from her and to Joshua, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion. “What?” he responded, thankful that his friend pulled him away from his thoughts about her. His eyes flickered around the group to only realize that they dispersed. “Where did everyone go?”

       A hand slapped his shoulder, but in a friendly manner. “Everyone went to class, man,” Joshua answered as those amber eyes looked back at him. “The bell just rang.”

       “Oh, okay.”

       His eyebrows furrowed together at the dazeness of his friend. “Are you alright, man? You look deep in thought,” he commented.

       That snapped Mickey out of it. His lips lifted into a cocky smirk and he shrugged it off. “I’m fine. Just thinking about what idiotic things Ronnie should be doing right now,” he lied, pushing himself off the wall. He dropped his cigarette on the pavement and gave it a stomp. “He should be missing me by now since school started.”