The Journal {9}

I opened the journal and began reading. The first line in it taunted me about my lack of knowledge concerning the music room incident.

                Francis was in a great mood today since he got the solo for the next chorus concert. Francis has an amazing singing voice, but he gets a little shy when it comes to singing on stage. I’m so happy for him that he got the solo.

                Our date was today, and it was amazing, especially since Francis’s mood was so high today. He’s so romantic. He never really struck me as the romantic type, so I was actually surprised.

                Well, I should probably start with what happened in lunch today. I went over to the table and decided to talk to the twins about Francis.

                I looked at them seriously. “Guys, I need to talk to you about-”

                “-Francis,” I said.

                “What about him?” Callahan asked. I could hear the caution in his voice.

                “Please don’t say such mean things about him. He’s a good person. He’s loyal,” I said.

                “We’re just worried about you, Nash. Francis is-” Damien was cut off as Callahan slapped a hand over his mouth.

                “No more about Francis,” he agreed, shooting Damien a warning look and pulling his hand away.

                “Where is Frank, anyways?” Damien asked, looking around.

                I hadn’t seen him at all today, not even in the morning. He had texted me this morning to ask if I felt better, and never replied to me after I said I did.

                “There he is,” Callahan said, nodding towards the cafeteria doors.

                Francis was indeed standing there, talking to a few kids who I knew were in the school’s chorus group with him. Francis was grinning and nodding at them, and I could almost imagine the storm that would be in his eyes when he got over to us.

                But as he turned away from his friends, I noticed that his eyes were the brightest I had ever seen them. He came over to us, a huge grin on his face.

                “Good news?” I guessed, wondering what could have him in such a great mood.

                “I got that solo I tried out for!” he said proudly.

                “That’s great, Francis!” I said honestly.

                “Congratulations!” the twins said.

                Francis came over and dropped into the chair next to me. He slung an arm around my shoulders and kissed my cheek.

                “Are you going to come to the concert? It’s in a few weeks,” he said.

                “I wouldn’t dream of missing it,” I said with a smile.

                “Good. And I’m glad you feel better,” he said.

                Francis was such a strange guy. He wouldn’t text me back or come find me in the morning, yet when he saw me, he made sure I was okay.