The Journal {2}

I turned the page of Nash’s journal, and a photograph fluttered out. I picked it up, and immediately picked out Francis.

                He was the only one in the group of four that was wearing glasses. He had light brown curls, and a cute smile. His eyes were a brilliant blue.

                I was going to assume that the shortest boy of the group was Nash. He was standing next to Francis, his light green eyes bright and alive. He had tan skin and thick black curls.

                The other two boys must be Callahan and Damien. I couldn’t tell which was which, but was guessing that the taller one was Callahan. He had wavy brown hair, and looked calmer than the other boy. If I was right, then the final boy, a cute blond, was Damien.

                I studied the photograph. Judging by the clothes they were wearing, this picture really couldn’t have been taken that long ago. The four boys looked about my age, and all of them were attractive.

                I carefully placed the photograph on the floor next to me. I turned my attention back to the journal, losing myself in Nash’s life.

                After yesterday, I was kind of scared to see Francis in school today. I didn’t know if he’d snap right back into Frank and be mean about the situation, or mock me.

                But he didn’t.

                One thing I’ve come to notice about Francis, is that his eyes change with his mood. When he’s Francis, his eyes are that outrageously gorgeous bright blue with flecks of gray and green. But when he’s Frank, the gray and green flecks seem to darken, making his eyes look like a stormy ocean.

                So when I saw him today with those bright blue eyes, I relaxed almost instantly. Without even talking to him, I knew he was in a Francis mood. And he surprised me by coming over to me when I was at my locker.

                I shut my locker and faced him, wondering what the hell he wanted. He usually doesn’t say much to me until we’re in homeroom.

                But he looked me in the eyes and smiled. Completely shocking me, he said, “Hey Nash-”

                “-I really enjoyed yesterday.”

                “You were only at my house for about a half hour,” I pointed out.

                “But it was a great half hour,” he said. “And I was wondering if you want to come over afterschool.”

                “Just me?” I asked, trying to stay calm. Me and Francis? No Callahan and Damien?

                “Yea. I think it’ll be fun. My dad will be at work until late tonight, so we’ll have the place to ourselves,” he said.

                “Sure Francis. I think that sounds fun,” I said with a shrug. My heart was slamming against my ribs, threatening to burst out of my chest.

                The warning bell rang and Francis offered me one of his cute smiles. God, I loved him when he wasn’t in one of his Frank moods.

                “Great. I’ll come find you afterschool,” he said and turned to head to his locker.

                I went off to homeroom. Nothing exciting happened during the first couple of periods. When it was lunch time, I sat at my usual table with Callahan, Damien, and Francis. Francis and Damien got up to go buy drinks, and I turned to Callahan.