The Journal {4}

I walked up the stairs and slipped out of the boiler room. I waited until the bell rang before heading off towards our study hall in the cafeteria.

By the time I got there, Matt was sitting alone at our usual table. I hurried over to him and placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Matthew," I said.

He turned and stood up, pulling me into his arms. "Emerson! Where have you been all day? I thought you left school," he said.

"No. I just needed a little alone time. Hey, can we just try to get along? Please?" I said quietly, hugging him back. "I hate fighting with you Matt."

He gripped my chin and tilted my head, connecting our lips. I kissed him deeply, wanting him to know how much he meant to me. I really did hate fighting with Matt.

We pulled away from each other and I rested my head on Matt's shoulders. He wrapped his arms around me, holding me close.

I smiled lightly. Nash was right. Everyone needed someone to lean on. I'm sure that for him, relying on someone as mood crazy as Francis had been hard. Harder than me relying on Matt.

But he had relied on Francis nonetheless. And I would continue to rely on Matt, even if he had been pissing me off lately.

"Aw, how sweet."

I shut my eyes, gripping Matt. I didn't want Caleb and his friends to ruin this moment for us. Everything felt okay right now.

"Hey Caleb," Matt greeted, releasing me. He slipped his arm around my waist and pulled me close.

"I see the crybaby faggot has reappeared," Caleb said.

"Leave me alone Caleb," I said.

"Where did you run off to, faggot? Cry your eyes out in the bathroom again?" he asked and snickered.

I grit my teeth but ignored him. I didn't need to fuel his taunts. Besides, I wanted to fix everything with Matt, not make it worse.

Caleb stepped forward and shoved me. I stumbled back a little, and Matt steadied me, frowning a little.

"Ease up a little, Caleb. You almost knocked him into the table," he said.

"I don't like being ignored," Caleb said. "I asked you a question faggot. Answer it."

"Leave me alone," I repeated. I turned to Matt. "Can we just sit down? Please?"

"Yea, sure," he said, grabbing my hand and turning towards the table with me.

Caleb grabbed my backpack and yanked it, pulling me back. My backpack slid off of my arms as Matt steadied me again.

I watched as my backpack hit the ground, spilling out its contents. My eyes widened a little as the journal slid out.

"What's this? A diary?" Caleb asked, grinning as he picked it up.

"Don't touch that! It's not mine!" I snapped.

"Matt, your faggot boyfriend keeps a journal. Jeez Emerson, are you that much of a little bitch?" Caleb asked, moving to open the journal.

No. No, he was cruel enough that he would tear out pages or rip the journal apart. I couldn't let him hurt Nash's journal. For all I knew, he had left it and could be waiting for someone to return it to him. He really couldn't have written it that long ago. Maybe five years ago, maximum amount.

Without thinking, I shot forward and snatched it out of Caleb's hands. Fury rose in his eyes and he shoved me against the wall.

"Little bitch. Give me that," he said, reaching for the journal.