Prologue

Ever After

Prologue:

HE

He just came from work and entered his home; as soon as he entered the door he parked the luggage in his hand near the door and loosened the knot of his tie. He shrugged out of his suit jacket and hanged it  at the coat stand near the living room.

He walked towards the kitchen and got himself a bottle of cold beer. He was about to walk towards the living room when he noticed his wife staring at him. She was seated at the kitchen’s bar stool, because he was so tired and occupied he didn’t noticed his own wife upon entering the kitchen.

“Hi, sorry I did not notice you.” He said to her and approached her. He gave her a peck on the cheek and continued to walk towards the living room; the cold bottle of beer was still on his hand. He kicked off his shoes and sat at the couch. He lifted the remote control that was lying on the center table in front of him and pressed on the power button. He rested his back at the couch’s backrest and sipped his beer.

“Are we going to be like this for the rest of our lives?” His wife suddenly uttered as she stand in front of the kitchen’s door, her hands was on her waist and her eyes focus on him , waiting for his reply.

“This is what you wanted right? Your ever after…” He sarcastically replied and returned his attention on the TV set.

“It’s been two years, I thought things will change. I thought you would realize that it is really me…” She uttered back as tears started to flow in his wife’s eyes.

“This is what you made me to be…. So deal with it…” He said with his usual deep voice. He put down the bottle of beer at the table and turned off the TV set.

“Let’s end this nonsense and go to sleep. I am tired.” He added and went to his room.

Yes his room, two years of marriage and this is what it turned out to be. Both of them living in one roof but sleeping in separate rooms.

“This is what you called, marriage.” He whispered to himself as he closed his bedroom door.

****

He woke up at around six in the morning he don on his running pants and a white shirt and, in his running shoes he went out of his room and headed out for his usual thirty minutes morning jog.

After a few laps in the neighborhood he went back to the house. His wife was setting up the table for breakfast and looked at him as soon as he entered the door.

“I have an early photo shoot at the meatpacking district, I need to go. Breakfast is ready.” His wife told him and strode towards the main door.

He silently walked towards the dining table and sat at one of the chairs. He picked up the news paper beside his plate and started to scan it as he sipped his coffee. He was about to turn the front page when a brown sealed envelope slipped out from the broadsheet.

Curious as to what the brown envelope is he carefully unsealed it and pulled out the documents inside.