Day 26: The Room

Day 26: Write a scene that takes place exactly where you are right now.

"So, you promise that you won't break up with me after you see it?" she questioned hesitantly, her hand lingering over the doorknob as she contemplated whether or not to open it.

"Babe," I sighed, "why the hell would I ever break up with you over a room?"

She dared a peak at my eyes, and I shot her an encouraging smile. It was just a room, after all. I wasn't really sure how something so simple could possibly lead to our relationship's demise. "I don't think you understand..." she muttered with a shake of her head. "I have friends who can't be in there for more than two minutes without needing to leave."

"Babe, I swear I won't run. It's just a room," I laughed lightly.

Yet again, she repeated the phrase, "You don't understand..." paired with a shake of her pretty little head.

"Just open the door," I urged.

With a gulp, she did as instructed and then finally turned the brass handle of the large wooden door. She put a hand over my eyes, shielding them from whatever lay within as she yanked me by the hand, closing the door with a minimal slam. I was pretty sure that I was now standing in her room, but I couldn't exactly see, so maybe I was still in the hallway. Who knew?

"Can I look now?" I inquired.

"You swear you won't break up with me?" she persisted on the notion that I was going to break up with her over something as stupid as a bedroom.

"I swear, babe," I laughed once again. With a sigh, she tentatively removed her hand from my face, and then I realized where all her apprehension had come from. She was right--I didn't understand.

I was currently standing on a blue carpet. Normal enough, right? On the floor there were a few articles of clothing, but that was to be expected. Her bed was situated on the back wall opposite the door, covered in a rainbow of messy blankets with pink sheets. At the foot of her bed was what appeared to be a few backpacks and a graveyard of shopping bags--mainly ones from BP/Nordstrom (her favorite place in the world to shop). There was a little pink cube thing next to the bags, and then on the same wall was a white desk. It had her computer on it (which definitely set a tone for the room as a whole), and was pretty scary.

Then there was another wall with a window on it, but no major fixtures. The next wall that the door was attached to happened to have both her dresser with a big mirror on it, and her closet. Her closet was rainbow-coordinated, and there wasn't a doubt in my mind that essentially everything in there was from Nordstrom. That girl loved Nordstrom almost as much as she loved the UK boy band, One Direction, which was a wonderful transition into the aspect of her room that was scary. Like, really scary: the walls.

There wasn't an inch of wall space that didn't have a One Direction poster on it. There were probably, like, three pictures of people that weren't One Direction, but even they were in the same category. It was a blur of color and boy band members. I could just barely make out the remnants of what appeared to be a flower border at the very top of the wall, though the majority of it was covered by pictures and posters. I had never seen anything like this.

The corner where her desk was happened to be was primarily posters and pictures of the blonde one in the group--Neil or something. He was her favorite. I didn't exactly know why, but whatever. As for the rest of her desk, well, it was a frightening sight. There was this bookshelf-like thing that ran across the top of the desk, and on top of it was a row of One Direction dolls. There were five 3D paper ones that looked homemade, these little plastic ones, and two Barbie-sized ones of the blonde kid. Next to the dolls on the ledge was a mountain of magazines and books all related to One Direction. On top were a few of their CDs and what I wanted to say was their concert DVD or something. It was freaking scary.

On the wall with the window and the one parallel it, all one could see were the posters. Surrounding the window frame that looked to be previously pink were cut out pictures of One Direction, taped all around it. On the other wall was just poster, after poster, after poster. Geez. Wow. Holy shit.

I took it in slowly, and then I made the mistake of looking up--to the ceiling. Above her bed was a collection of even more posters and pictures, though there were a few patches, as if posters had fallen and she hadn't bothered to put them back up again.

She followed my gaze, and then explained with a simple, "Gravity sucks." I nodded, continuing to look around.

Now, before this I knew that she liked One Direction. Her computer basically gave that fact away, in addition to how she brought the group up in every other conversation of ours. The thing about her laptop was that it had a bright pink cover on it, and then on the back there were a bunch of stickers of One Direction. It looked like it belonged to a twelve-year-old, but she was happy and liked it, so whatever. I should've guessed that by the way her computer was decorated, her room had to be worse.

My eyes suddenly flew to the wall with the window, right by the desk. Right there on the ground by a plug was something I had seen before, but seeing it here--in the room--made it all the more scary. A while back she had been put in a portrait class to get her arts credits. Everyone else in the class was painting these really cool portraits of people and making them artistic and chill. Then came my girlfriend. She wasn't really big on art, so if she was going to do something, then it was going to be with something she liked--namely, One Direction.

Everyone else in the class had chosen someone iconic to create, and then there was my girl, making the blonde dude from One Direction. It had started out as a simple charcoal sketch. She screwed up the face, but the hair and shoulder-area was pretty okay. Then came the background. This chick had printed out pages and pages of little black and white pictures of the blonde guy and then glued them onto the background, making it even more creepy than it already was.

At the very end of her creation process, she had decided that she didn't like the face, so just blew up the picture that she was trying to create, and glued on his facial feautures. The finished portrait had been hanging in our school for a few months, and it was by far the creepiest thing I had even seen...up until this moment in time. Put a few candles here and there, and then the room would be like a freakin' shrine. Wow.

"So, uh, do you need to leave? My dad was in here the other day and he had to leave after two minutes. He got a little overwhelmed," she rambled on as I approached the pink desk chair with an array of clothes drooped on it. 

"No, I don't need to leave," I said slowly, sitting down as I attempted to process my surroundings. Wow. Just wow.

"Uh, so, what do you think?" she gulped.

"It's definitely one, uh, scary-ass room, that's for sure."

She grinned at me, as if she was proud. And knowing this girl, she probably was. "Thanks," she said with a large smile eteched onto her face.

"Any time, babe, any time..."

A/N: Soph....did you just describe your room? Yep. Pretty much.

-Sophie