Broken

Authors Note: Hello! Thank's for reading, there is some medical issues in this chapter, i have zero medical knowledge but i tried my best to research it so it would be as accurate as possible - it's only a small part of the story but if anyone reading would like to correct any mistakes - hit me up! Reviews are pretty nice too...

She's coming out of a deep sleep, voices dim and incomprehensible seep into her consciousness. Her eyes won't open and her body feels heavy with the drag of sleep. There is a deep, dull pain shooting up her left arm from wrist to shoulder but that is nothing compared to the piercing pain in her head, throbbing in her left temple and pulsating outward.

Lauren tries to talk, her dry lips opening but words won't come out, all she manages is a grunt. The pull of sleep is so strong but she fights against it like swimming into a strong current. The voices stop and she vaguely hears the light tap of footsteps coming towards her.

A cool touch on her non-throbbing arm and the voice says, 'You're in the hospital, Lauren,' She doesn't recognise the feminine voice but it's warm and reassuring and she thinks she should be worried but she's is too tired to worry.

'You're on a lot of pain medication, just go back to sleep okay?'

It's the most appealing offer she has had in a long time so she stops fighting the sandman and lets him drag her down into slumber.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Lauren wakes again there are no voices and her mouth is so dry it feels like sandpaper, but she manages to crack open her eyes at least halfway and the pain in her head has reduced from sharp-stab to small-sledgehammer.

There is nobody else in the small, white walled hospital room and she feels a pang of fear that seems to be dampened by the pain killers.

Lauren struggled to sit up, noticing first that she is in a hospital gown and then the splint on her left arm stretching from her hand to just below her elbow. When she lifts her uninjured hand up to her left temple she is met with soft padding. Her left eye won't open more than a crack and guessing by how tender her face feels she guesses she is sporting pretty nasty looking bruise.

With a sigh, Lauren tries to recall what happened, she remembered sound check, losing her balance and then...nothing. It's blank. She assumes she fell of the stage, a six foot drop onto hard floor. Ouch.

What a fucking idiot.

The door opens suddenly and a blonde woman in scrubs walks in looking down at a chart in her hands. When she looks up, there is surprise in her green eyes.

'Hey, you're awake! How're you feeling?'

'Sore.' Lauren croaks.

'Yeah, that is a common side-effect of face-planting the floor.' The blonde smiled, cheekily. She is pretty, Lauren notes, in her early thirties maybe. The woman grabs a jug and pours some water, passing it to Lauren. 'Here, drink up. I'm Doctor Mills by the way.' She grimaces for some reason and Lauren is immediately endeared.

Lauren smiles at the doctor but it pulls on her bandages and slips into a grimace. Dr Mills seems to notice and her own smile switches to a look of professionalism.

'You'll probably be in a bit of discomfort for a while, you took quite a fall.'

'What's the damage?' Lauren asks, already dreading the answer.

'Well, you've fractured your wrist; it's what we call a distal radial fracture. It's not a bad break, you'll have the splint on until the swelling goes down and then we'll have to put a cast on.'