Chapter Thirty-Three

Ginelle awoke the next morning with a smile, surprised to find a white lily resting against Dorian’s pillow. She laughed softly, wondering just how he managed to find a flower in the dead of winter. She cradled the sweet gesture as she arose from bed and shuffled across the room to grab her robe. Someone had already brought her breakfast and stoked the fire but neither caught her attention as a noise from outside brought her to the window.

            As she pushed the drapes aside, she was startled to see Dorian down below talking to a man she had never seen before. She frowned as the two of them discussed amongst each other followed by a few occasional hand gestures that motioned towards the array of men standing off to the side. She leaned further against the window, straining to see who the other men were and recognized the laborers.

            There was a tapping at her door and she bid them entry as she turned away from the window to greet Thora. “Good morning milady, did you sleep well?”

            Ginelle nodded, “Yes Thora, thank you. Have you settled?”

            Thora smiled, “Yes milady. Belle has kindly offered to share her quarters.”

            “You are happy than?” Ginelle asked.

            “Very so!” Thora cried gleefully, “The servants here are very kind to me. Is there anything I might get you?”

            Ginelle shook her head, hesitating to leave the window before doing so. She moved across the room and settled into the chair before the hearth taking notice that Thora lingered and appeared on the verge of saying something. “Is something amiss?” she asked, suddenly worried.

            Thora was quick to shake her head, “Not at all, milady!”

            Ginelle laughed than, “Than pray tell, what is it that has you frantic?”

            Thora stepped towards her and dropped her head, clearing her throat as she said, “May I ask something that is bold?”

            Suddenly concerned, Ginelle leaned forward, “Of course, please.”

            “W-what do you-“ she paused, clearing her throat again, “-what do you think of Lieutenant Cummings?”

            Ginelle’s eyes widened, confounded as a realization struck her. She felt a smile curving her lips but resisted for Thora appeared fairly nervous, her affections clear. “He is quite a gentleman.” She stated, “Why do you ask?”

            Thora continued to twist her hands nervously; her dark head cast downward, avoiding Ginelle’s inquisitive stare entirely. “I-I find him a-agreeable.” She said modestly, her pale face blushing a deep crimson red.

            Ginelle smiled, “He is very agreeable.”