Chapter Fourteen

This ride was unlike any other. She could feel the stallion’s powerful muscles shift beneath her as the beast took flight, its massive hooves pounding into the dirt. Exhilaration rushed through her veins as she closed her eyes and let the wind tease her hair but it was the solid male at her back that made her heart pulse erratically in her chest.

            Ginelle was keenly aware of the muscled arm wrapped around her waist, holding her firmly against his chest and encased between his large thighs. The scent of him, musky and strictly male, wrapped around her senses.

            So absorbed in the ride and the man at her back, she wasn’t aware of their destination until they reined in before the stream she bathed in the day he found her.

            Dorian said nothing as he dismounted and lifted his hands to help her down. She immediately stepped back from him for the heat from his body scorched her. She watched as he turned and approached the water than knelt to splash water onto his face.

            “Why are we here?” she asked.

            He continued to rub water along his forehead and along the nape of his neck. She stared at his back and watched the muscles beneath his cotton tunic shift marveling at the strength in which those arms possessed.

            He straightened to his height and turned to look at her. He stared at her as if he wanted to say something but refrained. She watched as he reached within the pocket of his breeches and withdrew an object.

            Ginelle felt her heart leap against her chest. Surely he hadn’t brought her here to accuse her of thievery again?

            She frowned as he extended the object to her and slowly unraveled his fist. Her mouth parted on a gasp as she stared down at the familiar length of chain, and dangling from that chain was her locket.

            Intuitively, her hand fluttered to the bare spot at her neck. She reached out and took it from his hand. “Thank you.” She whispered, tears forming in her eyes. She thought she had lost her mother’s necklace forever. “Where did you find it?” she looked up to peer at him.

            He moved forward and gently took the necklace from her, motioning for her to turn around. Reluctantly she turned and lifted her hair as he placed the locket around her neck. His fingers lingered along her nape, eager to touch her silver-blond tresses.

            Dorian dropped his hands and stepped away as the locket settled around her throat. “The woman-“ he nodded towards the picture concealed within, “Who is she?”

            Ginelle reached up and unclasped the locket, revealing the beautiful woman inside. “My mother.” She whispered, lightly tapping a finger against the tiny portrait.

            “She is beautiful-.” He said and she looked up, a small smile curving her mouth. “-like you.” He added.