Loving Parents Being Parents

"I'm home!" I called out, hoping no one would answer me. Unfortunately, my pray was turned down. And worse, it was answered by one of the people I didn't want to see right about now.

    "Welcome home." My 'mother', Lailah , happily skipped to me. I sighed, rolling my eyes. I only groaned in response. "Hayley… I don't remember buying you that jacket…" She mumbled.

"What? Ah, um… I just recently bought it." I lied.

    "Hayley… That's a boy's jacket." She looked as if she was ready to scold me.

"Yeah? And? There are guys out there that are wearing skirts…" I muttered, hoping she takes my lie. She was silent for a while.

    "Let me guess, it's a guy's jacket!" She gasped, clasping her hands.

"Yes it is." I muttered. "I found it in the 'boys' section at the mall." I rolled my eyes, lying even further.

   "No, no, no, no! Not like that…" She stammered. "What I mean is that, is that you borrowed that jacket from a boy!" She pointed to my face. I blushed madly. Damn! She found out! "Monty! Come in here!" Oh God no! My father is going to hear about this?

"Lailah, what do you think you are doing?" I growled.

    "We need to tell your father about your little boyfriend." She mumbled. "And call me 'mom' already!"

"Lailah, I don't have a-"I started.

    "What?" My father roared, obviously just woke up from his afternoon nap.

"Dear, Hayley has a boyfriend!" Lailah cheered.

And the look on my father's face… Was as if he saw the devil himself.

    "What?" He roared even louder than before.

"I've told you already Lailah! I don't have a boyfriend!" I protested.

    "Don't believe her, Monty. Just look at the cute jacket wrapped so tightly around her waist…" Lailah swooned. I sighed heavily. She's such a hopeless romantic.

"I do not have a boyfriend. My over clothes got wet…" I muttered.

   "How?" My father asked, a bit to concerned for my own personal benefit .

"I tripped and fell into the fountain." I lied; worried that he wouldn't fall for it. "Anyway, I met this guy… and he gave me his jacket so I wouldn't get yelled at by the teachers."

   "Ah~! The first move on your love!" Lailah swooned again.

"Shut it, you’re going to make situations worse…" I hissed so low so that they wouldn't hear me.

    "Hayley, why didn't you tell me sooner that you were starting to get involved with boys?" Lailah whined.

"I'm not." I sighed. "And don't you remember Alex at all? Or was he just a phase?"

   "Alex Garret…" My father clicked his tongue. "He made fun of the Bass name. Thinking that all Basses are just as weak willed as the heir Hayley…" He trailed off. Secretly, my father always somewhat respected Alex. He would never show it, though.

"Be quiet, sweetie! Besides Hayley," Lailah averted her attention back to me. "Alex was just a little middle school fling. You were too young to experience love." Lailah said confidently. "Now that you're mature and in high school, you can happily fall in love with a man… and possibly get married to him."