Part 34 Birthday?

© Copyright 2014

Alexis POV

 'Happy Birthday Luna' the words rolled for Richard’s mouth as he threw me the keys to my new baby. I half expected him to bare a scowl, who gets a brand new Range Rover when the already have a new car?

But then my mind raced back to the words he had said just moments ago.

'Happy Birthday Luna.'

Wait…  

What?!

Who said it was my birthday? I certainly hadn’t. Why would they assume it was my birthday??

'Erm… As perfect as this gift is, it’s NOT my birthday.' Emphasis on the NOT. I spoke, voice laced with nonchalance as I turned to face the direction the voice had come from.

Xavier released an exasperated sighed capturing my attention before addressing my previous statement.

'Lying is a very bad habit' he tisked at me before slowly approaching.

How did he know it was my birthday? I never told anyone. The only person that should know is my dad.

'I think me of all people should know when my own birthday is and I'm telling you, this is not it.' I responder jabbing my finger into his chest.

I can’t freaking believe this!

I will kill my dad when I see him!

It’s bad enough he shipped me off to live with a complete stranger; who was an obnoxious, arrogant prick at the time, which by the way is not really wise considering just how hormonal us young people are, but not only that he’s bypassing me and giving out information he knows would only hurt me in the end.

How DARE he?!

He knows how I feel about birthdays. He knows I don’t enjoy celebrating this day and he knows, in fact I vividly said ‘I will NEVER celebrate on this day again.’ Why does everyone think they know what’s best for Alexis?

I found myself standing, fists balled at my side my entire body subsumed to a vibrating wave of wrath. The rage clearly radiated in my thoughts and more so the posture I had adopted. I couldn’t stop the shaking.

Hunching over to the ground I fought relentlessly to control Alexis. She was NOT happy. I felt the burning sensation bursting through my bones, a low growl ripping through my vocal cords.

It’s time like these my dad was like nothing more than a fly on the wall to me.

 .............

'Lexi, just stop it!' his tone stunned me into silence. Did he just use his fucking Alpha tone on me?

I glared at him picturing daggers jabbing into his facial features, Alexis bearing her teeth at her mate’s tone. She was calling for his wolf to be understanding.

I told him NEVER to treat me like some common rogue again.

I don't want to celebrate my stupid birthday. As bratty as I sound, I still don't give a rat’s ass. I will NEVER celebrate this day again. I vowed that many years ago and I plan to keep it that way.

'Take it back.'

I was referring to the car. As much as it devastated me, I can't bear to accept it now knowing it's a birthday present.

Fighting back the tears of pure seething, I looked eyes squinted, back and forth between the three people before me one final time before I ran past them into the forest shifting mid-air.

....................

Xenara POV

 What the hell just happened?

'Well what was that about Alpha?' I have to say I'm more than a little stunned. He looked knowingly between myself and his father before his gaze hit the floor.

'Come on then. Let's go get a drink.' I responded tugging at his sleeves.

Looping my arm in the crease of his, I pat his bicep reassuringly leading him up the porch stairs to his home. I don't understand those two sometimes. They really know how to push each other’s buttons.

Xavier has been planning this day for week. We even ditched Lexi at the nail place to come and help him with some last minute stuff...

Sighing deeply, I sat down before my glass of lemonade opposite a defeated looking Xavier. Who would have thought I’d be the one in this situation with him? I’ve never really been one for giving advice. Especially not when ‘love’ is involved.

'Alright now just what is going on?'

'She doesn't like celebrating her birthday' he replied stating the obvious.

Why would...

'Why would she not want to celebrate her birthday?'

'It’s the day her mother died.'

'And you knew this?'

'Well, yeah. Why would I not know that?!' he snapped at me and I wasn't quite sure how to respond.

I'm not used to this stuff. I sat in silence. What do I say now?

'Errrrrr...mm...  I'm sorry. I didn't mean to... '

'It's not your fault.' he cut me off before I could finish.

'Why didn't you just do something small then if you knew?'

'Because.. .’ he paused to take a deep breath before continuing 'I read her mind after she stormed off. That's how I knew.'

'Well. Fucking hell.?’

I slapped my hand over my mouth a little too late. My uninvited curse word caused Xavier to gape at my briefly before he replaced the stunned silence with a laugh. I soon I followed suit.

My swearing sounded more like a question than anything.

Giggling at myself, I realised just how much I had lightened the mood.

'I think you should go to see her now. If that's really why, she must be feeling really alone right now. Tell her you didn’t know.. Talk it out.'

'Yeah. You're right.' I watched as he pushed back his chair from the table putting his glass on the table.

'I'm sorry for yelling.' I turned to see him looking back at me from the kitchen doorway.

'It's okay.. All part of being a listener right? And I'm sorry for swearing.' he chuckled at that last part giving me a small wave and exiting the room.

As you can guess I've never been one for swearing. It's funny because Chase swears like a pirate when he gets going...

He's my complete opposite. If Xavier and Alexis are anything to go by though... I'd say we'd love hard through our ups and downs.

Opposites really do attract.

.......................................................................