Part 13- Going Down and Gaining Control

With her signature icy glare, Andrea watched Charlie leave the room mentally throwing ghostly daggers at her back. Andrea was not use to seeing that glint of fighting back in Charlie and while she had enjoyed it a little she was also worried because it reminded her of teenage Charlie, before Andrea broke her down mentally. Trouble was Andrea  had been broken down too, a tear formed in her eye as she silently left the building after giving a weak smile and nod of her head to Kendra, who just raised an eyebrow back and gathered the papers she had signed earlier.

Charlie's legs felt like pieces of wood as she walked to the next meeting her mind wandering. Chop, chop, chop her footsteps seemed to say with every long step she took in her new designer shoes Mary Anne had overpaid for. This reminded her of when her Pops had taught her how to cut wood in the forest near  home. Daniel never was interested in nature but Charlie loved it, all the trees and animals that surrounded the little cabin they had lived in when she was young she thought it was the most special place on earth, now she never wanted to go back. Thinking of that one image in the woods she could not get out of her head. Like a horror movie you have watched before but you just can't take your eyes away from the terrifying images, Oh Andrea Charlie moaned softly.

Mary Anne watched Charlie with curiosity and felt her cheeks flush with jealousy. She wondered if Charlie would have ever told her that he knew Andrea and she was curious how long he had known her. Were they ever a couple..Lovers? Mary Anne flushed even more remembering Charlie's outburst, they must have been in love for him to get so emotional about Andrea being with his brother. Also the way Andrea's eyes honed over Charlie it was obvious the two knew each other well, Andrea had a hold on Charlie that much was clear.  The past hung in the room like a fog of smoke, choking them.

Charlie started putting the portfolio on the desk and setting up the easel for the next meeting when Mary Anne put a soft hand on Charlie's shoulder. "Hey we have a few minutes, want to talk about it?"

Charlie looked into Mary Anne's eyes and seen warmth there and she wanted to trust her and tell her everything. She even opened her mouth to spill it all but instead all that came out was "I can't" Charlie said in a whisper, looking back down at the easel turning away from Mary Anne and focusing on her work, thankful for the distraction. She could never tell Mary Anne everything, she just couldn't take the judgement from her.

That is why she never told Daniel either, the judgement from her brother and her Pops would have broken her in a new way and Andrea had broken her plenty enough by then. Now she knew she should have told him. How could she have let Andrea manipulate her like that ? The lies had eaten at her for over ten years now, wringing her hands and putting the markers on the tray that was attached to the easel Charlie heard soft footsteps enter the room with her and Mary Anne. Seeing the client enter the room Charlie and Mary Anne put on a fake smile that was sweet and welcoming. The elderly man never having a clue it wasn't real, one thing Charlie had always been good at had been keeping her feelings hid so she just acted normally.

..................................................................................................................

Two days after the blow up with Andrea, Charlie sat with hands in her face, for the first time feeling completely free, Briana holding her in her arms telling her she was not alone anymore.

Charlie told Briana everything, the whole tragic story spilled out of her in sobs and pieces of the past that had became unburied. While Briana had been shocked that Charlie had kept it a secret she was more shocked to learn Andrea was a bigger monster than she ever imagined. Well Briana was taking her down, the queen was getting thrown head first off that pedestal, Briana hoped she got a big ugly pump knot on her head in the process.  She let Charlie go, stepping back from the hug, as she started to plan things, taking care of loose ends in her mind.

A gleam came into Briana's eyes and she picked up her cellphone calling her old high school buddy that watches the club for her when she has to go away "Mark, hey I need you to cover the club for about a week or so."

Charlie looked up then and reached for a napkin to wipe her nose as Briana continued "Yeah vacation time, going away for a little bit." she giggled that fake giggle that sounded like a chipmunk choking.

"Thanks Mark, I will call you back with the exact dates, I have to get my stuff ready." Briana pursed her lips "No, Charlie is not going to be here, we are actually going away together." Briana laughed for real this time "No, nothing like that Mark, put those thoughts away."

As Briana finished up her conversation with Mark, it did not really hit Charlie what Briana had said, Charlie was drained mentally, running at about zero.

Briana looked at Charlie and said "Get some sleep, I want you to get rested up." Briana followed Charlie to her office and made sure Charlie was fully covered up. After a few moments, exhaustion setting in Charlie drifted off to sleep.

After kissing Charlie's forehead softly Briana left the room and shut the door slowly. Once out of earshot Briana left Mary Anne a message "Hey, Mary Anne this is Briana. Charlie is going to be using some vacation days, we are going out of town, to take care of something. when you get this message call me back and I will explain more to you."

Briana went back into her office and looked at Butterscotch curled up at Charlie's feet "Take care of her, I am gonna go pay the queen a visit." Butterscotch barked as if to say okay. Briana smiled.

Walking to the metro Briana looked at the address in her hand, Andrea's hotel and suite number. Some things can't be done over the phone Briana thinks, some things you have to do in person, and this was one of them. She couldn't wait to see the look on Andrea's face. Whistling as she walked Briana hurried her steps.