Frienemies Forever

"I LIKE IT LIKE THAT HEY WINDOWS DOWN CHILLING WITH THE RADIO ON!” I sing, dancing around my room to Hot Chelle Rae’s I Like It Like That. New favourite song. I stopped for a second while the rappers came on. I didn’t like their part very much, it kinda ruined the song. I looked around at the progress that I had made on my room. I was very large and had a really cool view over the pool and tennis courts, and over the horizon, you could just see a blue smudge going from east to west. The ocean. I sighed. It might not be Hong Kong, but California definitely had it’s benefits. Mum and me had gone shopping for some new stuff to put in my room and lots of new outfits for me to wear to school, because they don’t do uniforms or something. How weird; every school I had ever been to had a uniform, I never pictured myself being one of those kids who got to go to a school that didn’t have one. I shrugged and continued dancing around to my music, organizing my desk and putting my new silvery covers on my bed. The theme of my room was “City Chic” as the magazines me and my mum had flipped through liked to call it. It looked really good so far, I had a queen-sized bed with mulit-coloured pillows and layered covers. On my walls I had special stickers that were like wallpaper, but were just the designs. On one wall a huge corkboard was hanging, covered in Polaroids of Pheebs and I. My desk and shelves held little momentos of Hong Kong and all my friends.

“TALLY!!” My brother called from downstairs.

“WHAT?” I yelled back.

“WE’RE GOING OUT TO DINNER WITH MY AGENT AND HIS FAMILY!” I sighed. Fun. I remember that mum and dad told me yesterday that we were going out to dinner, I had just tried to forget. His kids were probably like two, and he was probably a huge prick. Oh well, at least I got a chance to wear one of my new outfits. I opened the doors to my walk-in wardrobe, another perk to LA, and walked in. What to wear, what to wear? I wondered. I walked over to the bottoms section of the wardrobe and started rifling through numerous shorts and jeans. In the end I picked a pair of ripped, white washed jeans. Then I moved to the tops section. Much harder to pick from here, as mum and I picked dozens out when we went shopping the day before. In the end I decided on a cute sleeveless top that bunched up around the bottom, and for shoes I chose a pair of white canvas shoes. I then rushed to my bathroom to have a shower and do my makeup.

After I had spent thirty-five minutes showering and then another fifteen applying my makeup perfectly, I decided that I was ready. I had straightened my hair and then slightly curled the ends, so that it hung prettily over my shoulders. I had never been one of those girls who denied how pretty they were, or who assumed that wearing makeup made them look ‘fake’. If you want to be pretty, then what the hell, go ahead and be pretty. There isn’t a problem with wanting to look your best, now is there? No, didn’t think so. I give myself and my outfit the final once over in the mirror and decide that I look perfect. I then walked downstairs to see my brother playing Xbox on our giant TV screen. He was dressed really nice, with a cute little button up shirt and dark blue jeans. I sat on the couch next to him.

“Hey Lex.”

“Hey Tal.” He continued shooting on the screen, cursing when he missed or was shot himself.

“Bro, you suck.” I told him and he just laughed.

“I don’t. I rock.” I rolled my eyes. Modesty has never been mine or Alex’s best quality.

“Where are mum and dad?” I asked him. He shrugged.

“We’re hereeeeee!” my mum sang from behind me. She walked around to the TV and turned it off.

“Hey!” Alex protested, and my mum smiled at him.

“We’re leaving now.” Alex grumbled something unintelligible under his breath and stormed out to the car.