A Thousand Million Miles Away

I stood in front of my locker. It was empty. This morning I had taken out all my textbooks, exercise books, pictures, sticky notes, and my mini whiteboard. My textbooks had been dutifully returned to the library and my exercise books shoved in a bin. The pictures, sticky notes and mini whiteboard had all been placed carefully in a small plastic bag. I found myself now staring into a big, black hole. It wasn't my locker anymore. It would belong to some new kid in about two weeks. The locker that was right next to Phoebe's. The locker that Blake and Charlie had tried to climb into because they were convinced that it would take them to Narnia. The locker that Will had hidden in when Katie, a girl who had a massive crush on him at the time, was stalking him. It had only been my locker since the beginning of year eight, but it felt like my home away from home. 

I turned away from it, and looked out at the sea of faces that surrounded me. Friends, and foes, nerds and populars, asians and westerns, every different group was standing in front of me, waiting to say the dreaded word. Goodbye. I gulped. I had been trying to avoid thinking about this day, this moment, since I first learned I was moving to California. Now that it was actually here, I had no clue what to do. I decided that I had to break this awful silence.

"I-I want to thank everyone who is standing in front of me," I began feeling numb and stupid, "I may not be close friends with you all, in fact I may be an enemy to some of you, but I have had the time of my life at this school, from reception to year eight. I won't forget a single one of you, well maybe Bryson." Bryson grinned and shook his head.

"Trust you." He said. I laughed, but it sounded cold and bitter.

"I'm going to miss you all so much. I hope that when I go to California the people there are half as nice as you." I could feel myself beginning to choke up, and I think that some of the other kids began to take the hint, so people started to move in for hugs. I plastered a smile on my face and hugged everyone, until I was left with Phoebe and Blake standing in front of me. Blake stepped forward, and pulled me into a tight hug. I think that was the moment that I realised Blake and I would never be more than friends, thanks to the producers of my brother's movie. 

"Thank you." I whispered softly.

"What for?"

"For being so amazing." Blake chuckled softly and nodded.

"This is the part where you tell me no, right?" I pulled away, feeling pangs of sadness and guilt course through me.

"Blake, I'm so sorry."

"I get it. You don't want a long distance relationship."

"Do you?" I asked him bluntly. He shook his head.

"No. I don't"

"Can we be friends though?" I asked him.

"Forever." He gave me one last, sad smile before he walked off to catch up with his friends. 

It was just me and Pheebs left. The dynamic duo. Partners in crime. For a while, nothing was said. I mean, we hadn't spoken to each other since the day that I told her I was moving, nearly two weeks ago.

"I'm sorry." I said to her, my voice cracking slightly.

"No. I should be sorry." she said to me, her voice cracking as well. I sniffle and reach out and grab her in a big hug. She hugs me back and I can feel her quietly crying against my shoulder.

"Wha-What am I sup-supposed to do with out y-you?" she cries, "Y-you're my best fr-friend." I can't respond, I'm too choked up to say anything. We stand there for a while, hugging, until I finally pull away.

"I have to get to a flight remember?" I say teasingly, though my voice is still thick with tears and snot. She nods her head.

"Right, course. Don't want you missing that." I can tell from her voice how much she wants me to miss it. I give her one quick hug, and then we start walking downstairs.